- The Dell Update application automatically updates critical updates on Dell laptops.
- If the Dell Update is not working on your Windows 10 system, here is how to fix it with a few quick tips.
- To fix issues on your Windows 10 laptop, check out our dedicated Troubleshooting page.
- Learn more about Dell update software and drivers by exploring our Drivers section.
The popular laptop manufacturer Dell offers Dell Update, an application that automatically updates critical fixes and important device drivers as they become available. However, several users have reported the dell Update to be broken.
The Dell Update for Windows 10 not working issue can occur if the application files are corrupted. In some instances, you may experience the issue if multiple instances of the app is running on your system.
What is the Dell Update application for Windows 10?
As described earlier, the Dell Update Application is an optional proprietary utility available for Dell Windows 10 laptops. Users can use the software to scan for pending updates and download them automatically.
Users can download the UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app package from Dell’s support center online and install the app. However, at times the app may be broken and stop running on your Windows 10 system.
In this article, we have listed a few troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the Dell update for Windows 10 not working problem on our system.
How do I fix the Dell Update not working on Windows 10 problem?
1. Repair the Dell Update app
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK. This will open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Locate and select the Dell Update app from the list of the installed app.
- Click on Uninstall and then click Yes when prompted by UAC.
- In the Setup screen, click the Repair button.
- The repair tool will scan the system for missing and corrupted files and apply the required fixes.
- Once finished, close the troubleshooter and restart your system.
After the restart, launch the Dell Update application if it does not start automatically. Check if the app is working again.
The built-in repair function can fix any issues with the app that is caused due to corrupted or missing files.
2. Reinstall Dell Update app
- Press the Windows key + R.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Select Dell Update from the list of installed apps.
- Click on Uninstall. Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control.
- In the Setup screen, click on Uninstall/Remove.
- Follow on-screen instructions to uninstall the app completely.
- Once uninstalled, restart the computer.
- After the restart, go to the Dell Update page and download the file.
- Run the installer and wait for it to complete.
- Relaunch the app and check if the issue is resolved.
Reinstalling the Dell Update seems to have fixed the issue for many users. However, if the problem persists, uninstall the app using a powerful uninstaller.
Does the problem persist? Try running the app as administrator. Run the app with administrative privilege. To do this, right-click on the app’s desktop shortcut and select Run as Administrator.
Still not working? If the problem occurred after updating the app, uninstall the latest version, and install the previous version from Dell’s support center.
How to fix Dell SupportAssist not working?
The Dell SupportAssist app can stop working after a Windows 10 update or a software glitch. The best way to fix any issues with Dell Support Assistant is to uninstall the app and then install updates for drivers from the Dell website.
Make sure to update all the drivers from the Dell website. Then reinstall Dell SupportAssist and check if the issue is resolved.
Should I remove the Dell Update app?
The Dell Update application is an essential utility for Dell computers. It can automatically update all the critical updates and keep your PC up to date.
However, auto-updates can, at times, create issues due to bugs. If you like to manage all the updates manually, remove the Dell Update app to prevent the app from updating any drivers automatically.
The Dell Update for Windows 10 not working issue can occur due to a glitch in the app.
You can fix the problem by repairing the installation. If the issue persists, clean install Dell Update application using Revo Uninstaller.