Fix: ‘Device in use’ error causes no sound in Windows 10
Windows 10 Preview build 15014 is here, and the majority of Insiders on the Fast ring already have it installed on their computers. However, just like that’s the case with just about any preview build, Insiders who installed the latest release will need to deal with some issues that the build brings with itself.
It looks like that audio-related issues are the biggest problem of the latest Windows 10 Preview build. After issues with audio playback, where some Insiders weren’t able to hear anything from their computers, we now have the ‘device in use’ error.
According to Microsoft, this error is quite common in the new build, but the company currently has no workaround. While the development team is investigating the issue, Microsoft suggested that restarting the Audio service might fix the problem.
To restart the Audio service in Windows 10, do the following:
- Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services
- Find Windows Audio from the list of services
- Right-click it, and choose Restart
- Wait for the service to restart
Now, check if you can hear audio from your computer. If Microsoft’s advice were correct, your problem should be fixed now. However, if the problem still persists, you should our article about audio issues in Windows 10, for even more solutions.
If you’ve tried everything we told you in this article, let us know about your results in the comments. Also, if you know about some workaround that we didn’t list here, please don’t hesitate to write it down below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft brings native ebook store into Windows 10 Creators Update
- What to do if Dropbox keeps downloading “Unspecified” files
- Microsoft could be looking to integrate VR directly into Windows 10
- Remove stubborn software from your Windows 10 PC with these tools
- Microsoft will no longer include Internet Explorer in security updates
The yuletide season is here and shopping has already reached frenzied proportions. Also, your mom and dad are easily among the most important persons you […]
Trying to run the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Management console in Windows 10 can often lead to the Cannot load management console error. This again […]
Most of us don’t really worry about the data we save on our PCs or laptops and would not even consider protecting it. Not protecting […]