- Removing the program and following our guidance on this matter will ensure that you're on your way to resolving this issue efficiently.
- We also recommend using specialized software to help with this particular download error for GFWL.
- Twitching the settings of your antivirus might also prove efficient while trying to resolve this problem for good.
Games for Windows Live was a popular online gaming service that allowed gamers from all over the world to connect and enjoy their favorite games.
And even though GFWL has been discontinued, the service itself remained operational, leaving users still able to access previously purchased content through the client profile.
If you are playing a title that requires you to use GFWL but are unable to download and install it, keep reading our article.
How can I fix error 0x800c0008 on Games for Windows Live?
1. Reinstall Games for Windows Live in compatibility mode
- Start by uninstalling Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace and Microsoft Games for Windows Live Redistributable.
- Restart your computer after the uninstall process finished.
- Search for Microsoft Games for Windows – LIVE 188.8.131.52 and download the GFWL installer, just make sure you get a legit version.
- Right-click on the installer and choose Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
- While here, also check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
- Save the settings by clicking Apply, then the OK button to exit.
- Install Games for Windows Live.
- Once installed, run your GFWL game and retrieve your Gamertag profile if necessary. If you do not have a profile, press Alt+Enter to create a private account on Windows Live.
You can also use a dedicated software that will help you with the uninstall process, and additionally remove any files and Windows registry entries left behind.
The below choice lets you see all installed applications on your PC in one single pane. From there, you can easily search the program you want to uninstall by using the search bar at the top.
This helpful software features include a Forced Uninstall option to remove remnants of already uninstalled programs, optimization tools, and free professional technical support.
2. Install Games for Windows Live manually
- Download the Game for Windows Live installer.
- When clicking install, you should get a network error and take you to a folder called Logs.
- Navigate to the following location on your hard drive:
- Click on Downloads.
- Here you should find two files. Click and install both of them.
- You should now have Games for Windows Live installed and working.
3. Run Windows 7 or 8 in a VM for Windows 10
A virtual machine program for Windows 10 will allow you to run multiple operating systems on the same computer so that you’ll be able to install GFWL and play your games without any error.
Simply download VMware Workstation 16, which gives you the possibility to install multiple VMs on the same host, in order to deploy Windows 10, 8, 7, or XP from the same computer.
This nifty software supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 to provide a fluid and sensitive experience so that when you’re running 3D applications, you’ll get the most high-performance graphics.
VMware Workstation 16
Try out VMware to easily avoid getting the 0x800c0008 download error on Games for Windows Live.
4. Temporarily disable the antivirus security software
- Go to Control Panel and select System and Security.
- Click on the first option Security and Maintenance.
- From the left-hand pane, click on Change Security and Maintenance Settings to change the settings for Windows Defender and your antivirus software.
5. Perform a clean boot
- Right-click on the Start button and select Run.
- In the run box, enter the following: msconfig
- Press Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Go to the Services tab and click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, then click Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab in Task Manager, select and Disable each program, then close the window.
- Back on the Startup tab of the System Configuration box, click OK, then restart your computer.
By following these steps carefully, you should be able to resolve the download error 0x800c0008 on GFWL. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the subject, tell us in the comments section below.