Dropbox is not showing in taskbar? Try this
If you updated your Windows PC, you might suddenly not be able to see Dropbox showing inside your taskbar, even though the process is running.
It is extremely frustrating to need to quickly access your Dropbox settings or files, just to find that you can’t do so.
This issue has forced users to search for help on online forums. Here is what one of them had to say about this problem on the Dropbox official forums:
I fired my laptop up a couple of days ago and I noticed that the dropbox icon in the taskbar was missing. I checked task manager and dropbox is running there’s just no icon and if I kill the task and double click on the dropbox exe it loads the app but does not show the Icon so I am unable to check my settings or anything else. Can anyone help?
Here’s how to tackle this issue and get your Dropbox icon to show inside your taskbar once again.
Read on to find out the specific steps.
Dropbox icon missing from the taskbar? Do this to fix it
1. Check permissions in your antivirus software
Even though it is recommended that you use antivirus software on your PC, sometimes programs will not get the required permission to run because of it.
Depending on the specific antivirus software that you use, the steps you need to take will vary.
You will need to make sure Dropbox is whitelisted (allowed to run without interferences from the antivirus).
Have you failed to load the sharing screen in Dropbox? Fix it
2. Modify taskbar settings
- Right-click your Windows 10 taskbar -> choose Taskbar settings.
- Scroll down to the Notification Area section -> choose the option Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
- Search for the Dropbox button in the list and turn it on.
- This should solve your issue, but if it doesn’t please try the next method.
Note: Some users have reported that even though the setting was toggled On, the icon didn’t appear.
They turned it off and for some unknown reason, the icon appeared in the taskbar. Be sure to try this as well.
3. Uninstall and reinstall the application
If all the methods mentioned above failed to solve your Dropbox icon issue, there is one more thing you can try.
Some users have had success in fixing the issue with the Dropbox icon not showing up in their taskbar by uninstalling and reinstalling the app on their PC.
To do so, you will need to follow these steps:
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select Apps and features.
- Scroll down through the app list and select Dropbox.
- Click on the Uninstall button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
To reinstall Dropbox:
- Download the latest version of Dropbox (download process will start automatically).
- Run the installer package and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Check the system tray for the Dropbox icon.
Our team at WindowsReport compiled some of the best troubleshooting methods to try and fix the issue caused by your Dropbox icon not showing up in the Windows 10 taskbar.
Please let us know if you managed to solve the issue by using any of these methods. You can do so by using the comment section below.
- Dropbox not allowing me to share files [SOLVED]
- How to recover deleted Dropbox files
- There was a problem displaying this link in Dropbox [FIX]