- Microsoft Edge EPub reader used to let you enjoy your favorite books directly in the browser.
- Unfortunately, you can no longer open EPub with Edge, since Microsoft no longer supports it.
- Try using third-party software to access and read your eBooks, such as the ones listed below.
- Note that the EPub readers we've chosen come with many features and file formats support.
Once upon a time, Microsoft’s Edge let you read your favorite EPub books directly in the browser.
Back in 2017, Microsoft launched the awaited Windows 10 Creators Update that brought EPub file format support to Edge (among other new features) for all Windows 10 users.
But that was a while ago. Now let us fast-forward to more recent times, in 2019 to be exact, when, Microsoft announced the EPub adventure was coming to an end as far as the Edge browser was concerned.
So there it is, Microsoft declared on their official page that Microsoft Edge will no longer support e-books that use the .epub file extension. Therefore, you won’t be able to open EPub with Edge anymore.
What can I use to open EPUB files?
Of course, you can use third-party apps to replace your Edge epub reader – do check out our complete guide containing the best EPub readers to use on Windows 10 and even search the Microsoft Store to pick an Ereader.
Nevertheless, we reckon the best software for the job is Icecream Ebook Reader.
Icecream Ebook Reader
Icecream Ebook Reader is shaped to improve your reading experience.
Providing support for EPUB, MOBI, FB2, CBR, and other popular formats, this ebook reader is incredibly easy to use and it has a wide range of features to offer like Fullscreen and Night mode, Bookmarks, and even Custom categories.
You can enjoy it for free or get the PRO version for even more perks.
Let’s quickly go through its key features:
- Supports multiple file formats (FB2, EPUB, PDF, MOBI, and others)
- Library (to manage your digital content) and Export Library (to transfer your ebook collection between PCs)
- Reading progress (to resume reading where you left off in just 1 click)
- Copy, Translate, Search features
- Annotation features (to add notes, highlights, and bookmarks)
- Navigation scrollbar (to browse pages faster)
Adobe Digital Editions
Beautifully suited for PC, MAC, tablets, and mobile devices, ADE will help you proof-read, take your reading both online and offline and even borrow/purchase digital content that is automatically stored on all your devices.
Adobe Digital Editions supports multiple file-formats including EPUB, EPUB3, and PDF and it allows you to optimize your reading experience by modifying text and document size in different formats.
You can even use it as a file manager thanks to its in-built organization features that enable the creation of custom bookshelves sorted by title, author, and publisher.
Let’s quickly go through its key features:
- Cross-platform functionality (download and transfer books across all your devices)
- Enhanced reading experience (render audio and video content; support for right to left reading; dynamic image resizing, interactive quizzes, etc.)
- Full-text search functionality and easy navigation to different pages
- Compatible with various screen readers (including JAWS, Window-eyes, and NVDA)
- Multi-lingual support for eBooks (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc.)
- Bookmarks, highlights, and notes available
- File Organization features (create custom bookshelves sorted by title, author, and publisher to organize your digital content)
- Multiple file-formats support (including EPUB, EPUB3, and PDF)
Bottom line is that you still need to use a third-party application or extension to read EPub files even if you’re an Edge user.
But that is probably a blessing in disguise since there are numerous options to pick from that bring more to the table than the Edge browser ever could.
Give ADE or IceCream a try, they are completely free, and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can read everything about it in this quick article about Microsoft Edge no longer supporting EPub readers.
Check our thorough list consisting of the best EPub readers on the market, including free and paid products, and choose it yourself.
Easily solve the problem by reading our quick guide on how to fix corrupted EPub files in no time.
Adobe Reader is the most popular tool for reading manga. All you need to do is to download your manga series in a PDF format (and most manga websites allow users to select the download format), so this should not be an issue. Check out this complete guide for more similar solutions.