- If you see error #268d3 displayed on your PC or laptop screen, you should know that it's a scam.
- If a phone number shows on the screen, don't dial it. Follow our recommendations below, instead.
- In the future, make sure to prevent online malicious attacks using our tutorials in the Antivirus Hub.
- Bookmark the Windows Errors section for easy access to our full collection of helpful guides.
If error #268d3 appears on your PC screen, there is one single thing that you absolutely should not do and that is to contact the so-called support team.
Error 268d3 is a well-known scam used to trick PC users into thinking that their devices have been infected with malware and determine them to pay for remote technical support services.
Yet, remember that Microsoft would never contact you to offer troubleshooting solutions or request personal information.
What is error 268d3?
The good news is that error #268d3 is nothing but an annoying adware. So your computer is not affected by any virus or spyware trying to steal your credentials, credit card details, or email account logins.
As it is, you might get repeatedly annoying pop-up ads when launching your browser. Of course, this negatively impacts your browsing experience.
Most likely, the adware promoting error 268d3 has been installed on your PC via free software packages.
How do I prevent the error 268d3 scam?
As stated above, if error #268d3 appears on the screen, simply ignore it.
Secondly, download software only from official websites or from the Microsoft Store.
Thirdly, install Microsoft Edge. This browser blocks known support scam websites using Windows Defender SmartScreen.
Moreover, Microsoft’s browser can stop pop-up window loops that adware tools usually use.
How can I resolve the 268d3 error efficiently?
1. Run a scan using an adware/malware cleaner
Bitdefender efficiently detects and removes all adware that’s interfering with your user experience.
This solution identifies any type of annoying malware installed on your PC, removing any unwanted apps, malicious hijacker programs, toolbars or browser add-ons.
Bitdefender first scans your computer and then marks suspicious apps or programs for removal. You can review the list of apps to be removed, and select the apps you want to get rid of.
Additionally, the tool will also mark potential vulnerabilities that affect your device, so it’s a good idea to review them and take action.
Apart from the full anti-malware solution, Bitdefender also offers a separate, paid Adware Removal Tool that you can get from the developer’s official page.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusDon't give in to malicious adware pop-ups. Stay safe from any type of online attacks with Bitdefender.
Malwarebytes also brings fully-featured anti-malware protection for your device.
It is a light, simple, and extremely efficient tool that detects, cleans, and protects your system in real-time.
It’s worth mentioning that Malwarebytes offers a free scanning tool to find malware or any type of online threat and clean your PC, for a start.
However, we recommend going for the premium version of the product, as it shields your device against future attacks.
On the other hand, just like Bitdefender, Malwarebytes also owns a dedicated adware removal tool – AdwCleaner.
AdwCleaner has a really light footprint, and is very silent, running in the background to remove obnoxious programs and browser hijackers.
You can download Malwarebytes AdwCleaner for free from the Malwarebytes website.
MalwarebytesA quick and efficient way to remove error 268d3 and prevent future adaware infiltration into your device.
Use Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
The Redmond giant offers Windows users a dedicated Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) to keep computers free from malware.
Microsoft’s malware removal tool detects and removes malware, including adware, reversing the changes made by untrustworthy software.
Microsoft rolls out the MSRT on a monthly basis through Windows Update., hence the importance of installing the latest Windows updates. You can also download the standalone tool from Microsoft’s website.
2. Remove suspicious programs
- Open Start and type Control Panel in the search box.
- Open the program.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Look through the programs installed and select those that seem suspicious.
- Righ-click on each of them and select Uninstall.
- Wait until Windows removes the respective programs and then restart your computer.
3. Reset your browser to default settings
- Click on the three dots in the right-hand corner and scroll down to Settings.
- Search for Clear browsing data
- Hit Choose what to clear and select all the data categories listed there.
- Click Clear now.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Open the browser’s menu and go to the Help section.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click on the three-dot menu.
- Type Reset in the search box.
- Choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Hit the Reset button to launch the process.
And that’s all you need to know to stay away or prevent adware from infiltrating into your devices.
Tell us if you’ve managed to remove error 268d3. Feel free to use the comments section.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was updated and revamped in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.