- ExpressVPN's customer support can help you choose the correct settings/servers.
- However, sometimes you may have to deal with repeated proxy errors.
- If that happens, you can reinstall ExpressVPN or connect to a different location.
- Check out our guide if you want to fix ExpressVPN proxy errors once and for all.
A proxy is an intermediary between your computer and the Internet, often used to conceal your real location, and let you access websites that are blocked, or would otherwise be.
If you’re having trouble connecting to the Internet with ExpressVPN due to a proxy error, it is possible that it has been set to use a proxy server.
First, check your Internet connection whether it is active, and disconnect from ExpressVPN then try accessing a website the usual way.
If you can’t, even when disconnected from the VPN, check your internet connection. If you get the ExpressVPN proxy error from Netflix, chances are you’re using an unblocker or proxy.
You should move through the ExpressVPN server list, connect, and load the Netflix page once again.
If you can access the website, this article outlines some solutions you can try and then check your connection again on the VPN to resolve the ExpressVPN proxy error.
How can I fix the ExpressVPN proxy error?
1. Reinstall ExpressVPN
- Right-click Start and select Programs and Features.
- Find ExpressVPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall.
- After the successful uninstall, click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the ExpressVPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right-click Start and select Run.
- Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window.
- Under Network Connections, right-click on the WAN Miniport labeled ExpressVPN.
- Select Delete.
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Select VPN. If you see ExpressVPN as available, delete it.
- You may now reinstall the VPN from the official site.
When getting the ExpressVPN proxy error, your best bet is to uninstall this Express VPN International Ltd. solution by following the above procedure.
Then, reinstall the latest version in the hope of a fresh start.
Reinstall ExpressVPN right away to get rid of any persistent proxy errors!
2. Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location
- Click Choose Location to access the list of locations.
- Click on the server location to connect, then click ON button (you can also connect by double-clicking on the location).
- Go to the Recommended tab to see the list of top VPN picks to connect to.
- Click All tab to see the list of VPN server locations by region.
- Click the Favorites tab to show the locations you saved as favorites. It also shows the three Recently Connected locations you connected to.
- To find your desired location, go to the search bar by pressing CTRL+F, then type the name of your desired server location and double-click on it to connect.
- Once you disconnect from the location you selected, you can go back to your smart location by clicking on Smart Location.
If you can access the Internet when disconnected from ExpressVPN, but cannot connect to a server location, choose a different server location from the list of locations.
3. Change the protocol
- Go to the ExpressVPN window and click on the hamburger menu, then select Options (do this while disconnected from the VPN).
- Under Protocol tab, select the protocol you want to use and click OK.
Your device connects to ExpressVPN servers using VPN protocols, the default one being the UDP protocol, which in some countries like the Middle East, is blocked.
Change the protocol, which will also help you achieve faster connection speeds. For best performance, choose the OpenVPN TCP first, then L2TP, and lastly PPTP protocols in that order.
ExpressVPN doesn’t recommend using PPTP unless it is very necessary as it offers minimal security.
4. Disable your security software
Disable your security software like your firewall or antivirus as these may block your VPN connection. If you can connect, do the following:
- Configure the program blocking the connection to allow ExpressVPN. You may need to change the security level from High to Medium (depending on the program) and grant exceptions to ExpressVPN or UDP ports 1194-1204, or set it to Trust ExpressVPN.
- If you have the option to reinstall the security software or program blocking ExpressVPN connection, install it after the VPN is already installed so that it allows the VPN to connect by first uninstalling ExpressVPN, then uninstall the program blocking the connection, install ExpressVPN again, then reinstall the program blocking the connection.
Check if you can connect again using the VPN.
5. Disable proxy in your browser
- Click Tools.
- Select Internet Options.
- Go to the Connections tab.
- Click LAN settings.
- Uncheck all the options except Automatically detect settings and click OK for all.
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix ExpressVPN proxy error.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may gain access to Netflix US by using the ExpressVPN servers in the US (San Jose and Tampa) or Canada (Toronto).
To turn off proxy ExpressVPN, make a few changes in the browser’s settings. You must basically enter into Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.
ExpressVPN itself can be used in China, yet the official website is currently blocked as a result of the attempts to monitor citizens’ Internet access.