Can’t use VPN because L2TP is blocked? Fix it now
In order to connect to the Internet through your VPN service, L2TP is one of the best solutions, but many users reported that L2TP was blocked for an unknown reason. This can be a big problem and completely prevent you from using your VPN.
In this article, we will explore some of the best ways to deal with issues L2TP issues.
How can I fix blocked L2TP protocol on my VPN? This issue usually occurs because the L2TP protocol isn’t allowed to go through your firewall. To fix the problem, you need to add a new rule in Windows Defender Firewall and allow ports 50, 500, and 4500 to go through your firewall. After doing that, L2TP will be unblocked and the VPN will start working.
What to do when L2TP is blocked on my VPN?
Allow L2TP connection through your Firewall
Note: It is very important that you make sure you are connected to the Internet before starting to set up your VPN connection. If this criteria is not met, Windows will show you an error message after a minute telling you that the server got no response after sending the data package, or that something is wrong with your modem.
- In the Cortana search box, type Firewall, and then click on the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- In the new window, click on Inbound Rules.
- Click on New Rule.
- Select Port, and then click Next.
- Click on UDP and type in 50, 500, 4500 in the Specific local ports field, then click Next.
- Select the Allow the connection if it’s secure option, and then click on Next.
- You can leave the next two windows for User and Computer blank, and click Next.
- Leave all the boxes in the next window checked, and click Next.
- Add a name for your new rule, and click Finish.
- You are all done! This setup will allow you to avoid any issues with your VPN‘s L2TP connection getting blocked by your Windows Firewall.
Following the steps presented in this article will surely help you regain access to your L2TP VPN service by making sure none of your firewalls are causing the trouble.
Please feel free to let us know if this solution helped you, by using the comment section below.
- How to connect your Windows 10 laptop to VPN
- How to fix VPN authentication failed error message
- VPN error 619: 5 ways to deal with it quickly
Windows 10 updates are automatically downloaded when available and are usually installed automatically. However, some users reported the downloaded updates‘ status to be pending. It […]
Microsoft acknowledged a brand new bug in cumulative update KB4494441 affecting Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809). Microsoft released KB4494441 on May 14, 2019. […]
Some users wonder how they can install Windows 10 on a second drive, without damaging the system. Setting up Windows 10 on the new drive […]