- The first thing that some users do is to install Chrome. But sometimes, Windows 10 is blocking Chrome from installing.
- Why does that happen? Make sure you got the file from the official source. Then see how to turn off Firewall on Chrome. More in the article.
- If you would like to learn more about Windows Defender and others, see our firewall section.
- Se the best way to get more out of Google Chrome within our dedicated area.
Some users have said that Windows 10’s Firewall blocks Chrome for no apparent reason. The Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app error message appears for those users. One user stated in a forum post,
Every time I boot up my computer, I get pop up from Windows Firewall that some features have been blocked for the same apps: Chrome, Steam, and any steam game that I boot up.
Learn how to fix Windows 10 blocking Chrome below.
How do I allow Google Chrome through my firewall?
Instead of messing with complicated firewall rules, how about changing the browser? Have you ever considered making the switch?
Now is a great time. First of all, Opera is based on the Chromium engine, just like Chrome. On top of that engine, Opera developers have added a bunch of great features that are not available elsewhere.
One of the top features is the built-in VPN. You can use it to bypass some geo-restricted content for example. Or to simply hide your IP if that’s your thing.
The included adblockers, battery saver, newsreader and integrated messengers are other exclusive features meant to make your browsing experience safer, faster, and more productive.
If Chrome is blocked by a firewall, make the switch to Opera. You will benefit from a safer and much faster online experience.
1. Check the Windows Defender Firewall Permissions
- First, check the Windows Defender Firewall permissions for Google Chrome. Press the Windows key + S hotkey to open the search utility.
- Enter ‘Windows Defender’ in the search box, and select to open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall to open the options shown directly below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Check all the checkboxes for Google Chrome if they’re not already selected.
- Click the OK button.
If Windows Defender was blocking Chrome, the steps from above should fix it. In case you are wondering how to check if antivirus is blocking Chrome, the process is similar.
Open the antivirus of choice and search for an allowed list or exception list. You should add Google Chrome to that list.
2. Disable VPN Adapters
- Users have confirmed that they’ve fixed the firewall error by disabling network adapters. To do that, press the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Device Manager to open that window.
- Click the Network adapters category.
- Thereafter, right-click network adapters listed there and select Disable device.
3. Uninstall VPN Software
- The Chrome firewall blockage can be due to VPN software (especially Tunnelbear), and users have said that they’ve fixed the issue by uninstalling VPNs. To do that, open Run by clicking Run on the Win + X menu.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Open box, and select the OK option.
- Select the VPN software listed within the uninstaller window.
- Click Uninstall to remove the software.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Restart the desktop or laptop after uninstalling the VPN.
- Some users might still need to delete a remaining VPN network adapter. To do so, enter ‘ncpa.cpl’ in Run and click OK, which opens the window shown directly below.
- Then right-click the VPN connection and select the Delete option.
4. Turn Off Chrome Extensions
- Some users might also need to turn off VPN or ad blocker extensions to fix the firewall blocking Google Chrome. Click the Customize Google Chrome button.
- Select More tools > Settings to open the window shown directly below.
- Then users can click the button at the bottom right of each extension to toggle it off.
- Alternatively, press the Remove buttons to delete extensions.
5. Reset Google Chrome
- Resetting Google Chrome will turn off all its extensions, which might fix the Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app error. Users can reset the browser by clicking Customize Google Chrome and selecting Settings.
- Scroll down the Settings app, and then click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down to and click the Restore settings to their original defaults option.
- Then press the Reset settings button.
Those are some of the resolutions users have confirmed fix the Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app Chrome error. Then users can browse with Chrome without the firewall getting in the way.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.