- The first thing that some users do is to install Chrome. But sometimes your firewall is blocking Chrome.
- Fixing this is simple, and if the problem keeps appearing in Chrome, you might want to try using a different browser.
- Your VPN adapter can be a cause of this issue, so we advise you to check it.
- If the firewall is blocking Google Chrome, be sure to adjust your firewall settings to fix it.
Some users have said that Windows 10’s Firewall blocks Chrome for no apparent reason. The Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app error message appears for those users. One user stated in a forum post:
Every time I boot up my computer, I get pop up from Windows Firewall that some features have been blocked for the same apps: Chrome, Steam, and any steam game that I boot up.
First of all, Opera is based on the Chromium engine, just like Chrome. On top of that engine, Opera developers have added a bunch of great features that are not available elsewhere.
One of the top features is the built-in VPN. You can use it to bypass some geo-restricted content for example. Or to simply hide your IP if that’s your thing.
The included adblockers, battery saver, newsreader and integrated messengers are other exclusive features meant to make your browsing experience safer, faster, and more productive.
If Chrome gets blocked by a firewall, make the switch to Opera and enjoy safer and faster browsing.
How do I allow Google Chrome through my firewall?
1. Check the Windows Defender Firewall permissions
- First, check the Windows Defender Firewall permissions for Google Chrome. Press the Windows key + S hotkey to open the search utility.
- Enter Windows Defender in the search box, and select to open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall to open the options shown directly below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Check all the checkboxes for Google Chrome if they’re not already selected.
- Click the OK button.
If Windows Defender was blocking Chrome, the steps from above should fix it. In case you are wondering how to check if antivirus is blocking Chrome, the process is similar.
Open the antivirus of choice and search for an allowed list or exception list. You should add Google Chrome to that list. After doing that be sure to check if Google Chrome is still blocked by firewall.
2. Disable VPN adapters
- Users have confirmed that they’ve fixed the firewall error by disabling network adapters. To do that, press the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Device Manager to open that window.
- Click the Network adapters category.
- Thereafter, right-click network adapters listed there and select Disable device.
If firewall is blocking Google Chrome, be sure to disable the VPN adapter and check if that helps.
3. Uninstall VPN software
- The Chrome firewall blockage can be due to VPN software (especially Tunnelbear), and users have said that they’ve fixed the issue by uninstalling VPNs. To do that, open Run by clicking Run on the Win + X menu.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and select the OK option.
- Select the VPN software listed within the uninstaller window.
- Click Uninstall to remove the software.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Restart the desktop or laptop after uninstalling the VPN.
- Some users might still need to delete a remaining VPN network adapter. To do so, enter ncpa.cpl in Run and click OK, which opens the window shown directly below.
- Then right-click the VPN connection and select the Delete option.
4. Turn off Chrome extensions
- Some users might also need to turn off VPN or ad blocker extensions to fix the firewall blocking Google Chrome. Click the Customize Google Chrome button.
- Select More tools > Settings to open the window shown directly below.
- Then users can click the button at the bottom right of each extension to toggle it off.
- Alternatively, press the Remove buttons to delete extensions.
5. Reset Google Chrome
- Resetting Google Chrome will turn off all its extensions, which might fix the Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app error. Users can reset the browser by clicking Customize Google Chrome and selecting Settings.
- Scroll down the Settings app, and then click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down to and click the Restore settings to their original defaults option.
- Then press the Reset settings button.
After doing this, you should successfully reset Chrome firewall settings and the problem should be gone.
Those are some of the resolutions users have confirmed fix the Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app Chrome error. Then users can browse with Chrome without the firewall getting in the way.