- Ever lived that moment when you thought you just captured the perfect award-winning photo only to realize it was blurry?
- If you want to learn how to make a blurry picture clear, read the guide below where we'll explore the best software you can use to enhance blurred photos.
- Adobe Photoshop is a powerful tool that will automatically reduce photo blurring caused by camera motion and other factors.
- Visit our special hub dedicated to photo editing software for more useful guides.
If you’re looking for a tool to make your pictures less blurry, we’re sure that this article will help you. We know how frustrating it is to realize that most of the pictures you took during your summer holiday are blurred.
There can be multiple causes for this issue: maybe the camera was shaky, maybe you didn’t select the best possible settings, or maybe the subject was moving when you took the picture.
The good news is that there are plenty of tools that you can use to fix blurry pictures.
What software can I use to fix blurry pictures?
Here are some of the best tools that you can use to fix blurry images:
1. Adobe Photoshop (recommended)
Photoshop is a very complex image editing tool that you can also use to fix blurry images. However, if you haven’t used this tool before, we recommend using another from this list. Photoshop is suitable for intermediate and advanced users.
But if you still want to use Photoshop to fix blurry pictures, you can check out the guide below to learn what are the steps to follow.
How to fix blurry photos using Photoshop
- Go to the Filter menu
- Click on the Sharpen option
- Select the Shake Reduction filter
- The filter will automatically start analyzing the image
- You’ll see a progress bar on the screen that will remain there until the scanning process is complete
- Once the blurring problem has been automatically corrected, Photoshop will display the enhanced photo.
Here’s an example of an image where the blurring issues have been fixed.
You can take it even further from there and modify the blur traces, reposition the image in focus, and so on.
You can use this filter to reduce blurring issues caused by low-light environments, and all kinds of unwanted camera motion including arc-shaped and rotational motion. For more information, you can check out Photoshop’s support page.
2. The Movavi Photo Editor (recommended)
The Movavi Photo Editor is a great tool to make blurry pictures clear. This tool has an intuitive user interface, allowing you to quickly understand what each option does.
Here’s how to use the Movavi Photo Editor:
- Download the software for free
- Add the blurred photo on the working area of the tool
- Start editing the picture: Open the Adjust tab and move the Sharpness slider until it smooths out the fuzziness. You can also use other types of photo correction options: for example, you can move the Contrast and Brightness slider to further improve your pictures.
- Once you’re satisfied with the result, save the photo.
The Movavi Photo Editor also allows you to add effects and filters, crop, flip pictures or change image backgrounds and remove objects.
3. Smart Deblur
Smart Deblur is an amazing tool to fix blurry and defocused photos in one go. The program is very easy to use and doesn’t require any specific skills.
Here are Smart Deblur’s main features:
- Fix motion blur: Thanks to automatic shake pattern analysis, the tool allows users to restore lost details in blurry images in just one click.
- Make defocused images readable: Out-of-focus images are pretty hard to restore, but SmartDeblur can make unreadable pictures readable again.
- Undo Gaussian blur: Smart Deblur lets you remove artificial blurs produced by photo editors.
- Fine-tune your pictures: Complex images with combined blurs and/ or defocus are pretty hard to deblur. Thanks to its advanced kernel editor, Smart Deblur also enhances your restored pictures.
⇒ You can download Smart Deblur from the tool‘s official webpage.
4. Focus Magic
Focus Magic is a powerful tool that uses advanced forensic-like technology to “undo” blur. The software can eliminate both out-of-focus blur and motion blur in order to recover lost detail from blurry images.
You can use Focus Magic to recover information lost due to motion blur, as well as enhance old photos which have high sentimental value.
Focus Magic features:
- Photoshop compatibility: you can use Focus Magic as a plug-in for Photoshop.
- Lifetime Registration: You only ever need to purchase Focus Magic once.
- Free trial
- Plenty of tutorials to get the best of this tool.
⇒ You can download Focus Magic from the tool‘s official website.
Blurity is a tool that helps you recover blurry images. The software uses millitary-grade “blind deconvolution” technology to make blurry photos clear and text legible. Using it is very simple: install it, launch it, deblur it!
Or as Blurity’s creators put it: “If you were on CSI, you’d just tell the nerdy computer guy: “Enhance!” Here in the real world, your not-so-nerdy self can do the same magic: “Blurity!””
If you’re curios to see what this tool can do, check out the video below:
⇒ You can download Blurity from the tool‘s official page.
6. Topaz InFocus
Here are the main features of this tool:
- Ability to restore color and detail to image.
- Micro-contrast tools for fine detail enhancement.
- Estimate blur tool for unknown / complex blur types.
- Targets four types of blur: generic, out-of-focus, straight motion and unknown.
- Easily integrates into any part of your post-processing workflow.
⇒ Interested in Topaz InFocus? You can download it from TopazLabs.
Unshake is a really high-quality and free software that is only available for Windows. It will successfully help you deblur your photos. The program is mostly used in the US, Hungary, and Serbia.
Take a look at the most impressive features that are packed in this software below:
- The program takes up less storage than most apps for deblurring pics usually do.
- Unshake is one of the best deconvolution software for deblurring pictures.
- The program is free for private use.
- The get the best out of this program, you will need to perform some trial and error testing in order to be able to determine which parameter settings offer the best results.
- Most of the time, the results will be much better than just using the simple sharpening filters that are used by other apps.
On a Windows PC, you will need to unzip Unshake to a folder then run the program that is called “Launch” from the same folder.
You will be able to play around with the settings that you can find in the two drop boxes at the top.
It’s recommended that you read the file called Instructions.html before using the product.
⇒ You can currently download Unshake from this website.
If you’ve used other tools to fix blurry images, you can tell us more about your experience in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about blurry photos
- What causes blurry photos?
There are several root-causes for blurry photos including dirty lens, subject movement, camera shake, using the wrong focus point, and more.
- Can you fix blurry photos?
You can easily fix blurry photos with the help of specialized software solutions that have a built-in tool for reducing blurring, such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Why are my photos coming out grainy?
Oftentimes, grainy photos are the result of shooting in an environment where there is not enough light and the camera has to use high ISO thus making the noise more visible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2019 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.