No HDMI sound from Windows 10, 8.1, 8 laptop to TV? Here’s how to fix it
If you have connected your laptop through an HDMI cable to the TV and your sound is not working don’t be alarmed because there are a few tips and tricks in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, 8 that you can do in order to fix the sound and watch your movie on a normal TV.
A few of the reasons as why your sound is not working might be because the TV does not support audio output from an HDMI cable or because the drivers in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 are not updated properly. Also by following the tutorials posted below you will quickly resolve your audio in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 or perhaps find out why the sound is not working on an HDMI cable.
How to fix HDMI cable no sound from Windows 10, 8.1, 8 laptop to TV:
- Change settings from Hardware and Sound
- Update Driver
- Connect your laptop to a sound system
- Other HDMI problems and their fixes
First method: Change settings from Hardware and Sound
- If you want your sound to work through an HDMI cable you will first have to adjust some settings in Windows 8 or Windows 10.
- Press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “X”.
- Left click or tap on the “Control Panel” feature you have on the screen.
- Now in the “Control Panel” window, you will need to left click or tap on the “Hardware and Sound” feature.
- Under the topic “Sound” you will have to left click or tap on the “Manage audio devices”.
- You will have in front of you a “Sound” window.
- Left click or tap on the “Playback” tab situated in the upper side of the window.
- After you selected the “Playback” tab you will need to left click or tap on the “Digital Output Device (HDMI)” feature.
- After left-clicking or tapping the feature above you will see a checkmark next to it thus making this option as default for the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Now Left click on the “OK” button.
- Close the opened windows.
- Reboot the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Open the Windows 8 device and check to see if your sound is working on the HDMI cable.
Second method: Update Driver
- Left click or tap on the “Desktop” feature in the start screen of the Windows 8 or Windows 10 system.
- After you selected your Desktop feature you need to press and hold on the button “Windows” and on the button “X”.
- Left click or tap on the “Device Manager” feature.
- You will need to double-click (left click) on the sound driver situated on the left side in the window.
- You will need to right-click the sound device and left click on the “Update driver software” feature. We also recommend this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
- You will get a window in which you need to left click or tap on the “OK” button.
- Reboot the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- After the Windows 8 or Windows 10 reboots your device should have the latest drivers installed.
- Check now and see if your sound works through an HDMI cable to the TV.
Third method: Connect your laptop to a sound system
If your TV or your laptop does not support an HDMI audio output then you will need to connect the laptop to a sound system directly in order to have the sound enabled and good to go on the TV.
Other HDMI problems and their fixes
This issue may occur not only because of some audio components. It may also be the cause of a greater malfunction, like, the HDMI connection to laptop or TV. You can also try the fixes from our dedicated article about ‘HDMI no signal’ in Windows. If you want a more specific how-to guide, we strongly recommend you to check our fix for HDMI output problems in Windows 10. In case none of the solutions don’t fix your issue, then you just need to purchase a new HDMI cable as the problem is in the cable itself.
After following these simple tutorials you should have your sound up and running in no time but if you still have questions about this issues please write us below in the comments section of the page.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]