- Nowadays, owning a library with thousands of books takes no more space than a single book did in the past thanks to ebooks.
- If you are an avid reader, then you're definitely in need of a good ebook reader which can fix epub files.
- As much as we love computers, nothing compares to a good book, if you agree, check out our wonderful Ebook Page.
- To fix issues related to either software or hardware, we recommend our exhaustive Troubleshooting Hub.
Steps to fix corrupted EPUB files on Windows 10:
- Use an alternative reader
- Download Adobe Digital Editions
- Extract the EPUB file and archive it again
- Convert EPUB
The digitalization of books and documents is one of the endeavors our generation has taken on itself. And between various e-book formats, EPUB is one of the most used ones.
However, like any other file, EPUB can get corrupt and thus inaccessible. This isn’t exactly a common thing, as the EPUB archive isn’t the most complex thing ever, but it can happen from time to time.
If you’re in need of fixing the corrupt EPUB file, we have a few steps you can try out.
How do I fix corrupt EPUB files?
1. Use an alternative reader
The problem might also be on your part . We can only suggest giving another reader a try. Of course, this applies only to devices which allow you to meddle with the software you use. There’s a whole bunch of available applications which allow you to read e-books in the EPUB format.
Icecream Ebook Reader is our go to option when it comes to reading digital books in any format, EPUB being no exception to the rule. It is highly likely that it will open your corrupted EPUB book given the number of constant updates and tech improvements it gets.
It also supports the most popular formats such as MOBI, FB2 and CBR which is mainly used for Manga and Comic books reading. Besides that, the app has a pretty intuitive interface with couple of sweet options including Night Mode, Custom Bookmarks and even Categories.
Icecream Ebook ReaderIER easily lets you open a handful of Ebook formats, including EPUB, MOBI, FB2 and CBR. Try it now for free.
2. Use Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions is a tool specifically created to allow you to read epub-format books on your PC. This lightweight, yet powerful tool can easily open books and help you manage your digital library.
Once you’ve loaded your ebook library, you can easily navigate the table of contents of your books, place bookmarks and scroll through the pages. Additionally, you can change the font size to suit your screen.
Other features include the ability to highlight text, add notes, and search through the text. For a light ebook reader, Adobe Digital Editions is one of the best solutions out there.
3. Extract the EPUB file and archive it again
Let’s start with a simple trick which, seemingly, helped a lot of users who were having a hard time with a corrupted EPUB file. The step is rather simple and all you need is an archiver, like WinRar or WinZip.
Basically, what you need to do is extract the content from an EPUB file and archive it again with the said third-party archiver. That will, hopefully, make it accessible again. Although, a lot of this depends on the capabilities of your EPUB reader.
Here’s what you need to do, step-by-step:
- Download and install WinRar or 7zip.
- During the installation, don’t forget to allow the application to create the shortcut in the contextual menu.
- Right-click on the corrupted EPUB file and choose Extract here from the contextual menu.
- Select all extracted files (it should be 3), right-click on one of them, and choose Add to archive.
- Replace the extension file format to epub and click OK at the bottom.
4. Convert EPUB
Other users managed to completely salvage the content of a corrupted EPUB file by converting it. The usual procedure is to convert it to a PDF format and move from there.
However, you can even convert an EPUB file to, well, EPUB. It sounds ludicrous but that’s allegedly a way to solve the problem. So, if the PDF file format doesn’t suit your needs, you can use a converter to replicate the corrupted file.
Convert EPUB files with Epubor Ultimate
A great solution to convert EPUB files in order to fix the issues is Epubor Ultimate. You can convert a bunch of books to EPUB, PDF or Mobi, and the converted books will be displayed exactly the way they are, without data corruption.
The process is as simple as drag and drop: get books from the left side library, choose an output format, and click the “Convert” button. That’s all you need to do, and this smart converter will fix your corrupted EPUB files.
This converter supports input formats: KFX, EPUB, PDF, AZW, AZW1, AZW3, AZW4, Mobi, PRC, TPZ, Topaz, TXT, and HTML. It has the ability to convert these into EPUB, Mobi, AZW3, TXT, and PDF (Common font size and large font size).
The trial version is limited to 2 files only, which is enough for you to test its capacity and buy the product if you’re happy. Another option is to use Calibre. Follow these steps to convert the EPUB to EPUB (or PDF):
- Download and install Calibre, here.
- Set up Calibre and add the corrupted EPUB file to the library.
- Right-click on the book and choose Convert books and then Convert individually.
- In the top right corner, select the output format.
- Click OK.
FAQ: How to open EPUB files
- How can I open an EPUB file?
EPUB is one of the formats in which ebooks come in. In order to open these files, you will need software dedicated to opening ebooks. Our recommendation is Adobe Digital Editions.
- How do I convert an EPUB file to PDF?
- What app opens EPUB files?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2018 and was revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.