- Nowadays, owning a library with thousands of books takes no more space than a single book did in the past thanks to ebooks.
- If you are an avid reader, then you're definitely in need of a good e-book reader which can fix EPUB files.
- You can try to extract the EPUB file and archive it again, or even to convert it to fix the issue.
- If the EPUB files gets corrupted, you need the right tools to fix it, so keep reading this guide to find the proper solutions.
The digitalization of books and documents is one of the endeavors our generation has taken on itself. And between various e-book formats, EPUB is one of the most used ones.
However, like any other file, EPUB can get corrupt and thus inaccessible. This isn’t exactly a common thing, as the EPUB archive isn’t the most complex thing ever, but it can happen from time to time.
If you’re in need of fixing the corrupt EPUB file, we have a few steps you can try out, so keep reading.
How can I fix the corrupt EPUB files?
1. Use an alternative reader
The problem might also be on your part. We can only suggest giving another reader a try. Of course, this applies only to devices which allow you to meddle with the software you use.
There’s a bunch of available applications which allow you to read e-books in the EPUB format.
Icecream Ebook Reader is our go-to option when it comes to reading digital books in any format, EPUB being no exception to the rule.
It is highly likely that it will open your corrupted EPUB book given the number of constant updates and tech improvements it gets.
It also supports the most popular formats such as MOBI, FB2 and CBR which is mainly used for Manga and Comic books reading.
Besides that, the app has a pretty intuitive interface with a couple of sweet options including Night Mode, Custom Bookmarks and even Categories.
Icecream Ebook Reader
IER easily lets you open a handful of Ebook formats, including EPUB, MOBI, FB2 and CBR. Try it now for free.
2. Use Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions is a tool specifically created to allow you to read epub-format books on your PC. This lightweight, yet powerful tool can easily open books and help you manage your digital library.
Once you’ve loaded your ebook library, you can easily navigate the table of contents of your books, place bookmarks and scroll through the pages. Additionally, you can change the font size to suit your screen.
Other features include the ability to highlight text, add notes, and search through the text. For a light ebook reader, Adobe Digital Editions is one of the best solutions out there.
3. Extract the EPUB file and archive it again
- Download and install WinRar or 7zip.
- During the installation, don’t forget to allow the application to create the shortcut in the contextual menu.
- Right-click on the corrupted EPUB file, and choose Extract here.
- Select all extracted files (it should be 3), right-click on one of them, and choose Add to archive.
- Replace the extension file format to epub and click OK at the bottom.
Although, a lot of this depends on the capabilities of your EPUB reader.
4. Convert EPUB
- Use Epubor Ultimate
A great solution to convert EPUB files in order to fix the issues is Epubor Ultimate.
You can convert a bunch of books to EPUB, PDF or Mobi, and the converted books will be displayed exactly the way they are, without data corruption.
The process is as simple as drag and drop: get books from the left side library, choose an output format, and click the Convert button.
That’s all you need to do, and this smart converter will fix your corrupted EPUB files.
This converter supports input formats: KFX, EPUB, PDF, AZW, AZW1, AZW3, AZW4, Mobi, PRC, TPZ, Topaz, TXT, and HTML.
It has the ability to convert these into EPUB, Mobi, AZW3, TXT, and PDF (Common font size and large font size).
The trial version is limited to 2 files only, which is enough for you to test its capacity and buy the product if you’re happy.
- Use Calibre
- Download and install Calibre.
- Set up Calibre, and add the corrupted EPUB file to the library.
- Right-click on the book and choose Convert books, and then Convert individually.
- In the top right corner, select the output format.
- You can go with the EPUB again or convert it to PDF.
- Click OK.
Another option is to use Calibre. Follow the above steps to successfully convert the EPUB to EPUB (or PDF).
Other users managed to completely salvage the content of a corrupted EPUB file by converting it. The usual procedure is to convert it to a PDF format and move from there.
However, you can even convert an EPUB file to, well, EPUB. It sounds ludicrous but that’s allegedly a way to solve the problem.
So, if the PDF file format doesn’t suit your needs, you can use a converter to replicate the corrupted file.
Frequently Asked Questions
EPUB is one of the formats in which ebooks come in. In order to open these files, you will need software dedicated to opening ebooks. Our recommendation is Adobe Digital Editions.