This document contains links that may refer to other files [FIX]
If when trying to open a Word document you are receiving the same annoying message which tells you that ‘This document contains links that may refer to other files’, don’t panic.
There is a workaround that can help you suppress this message and fix / update all the links that are causing the message in the first place.
So, during the following lines we will learn how to address the persistent Word error message saying that your document is containing external links which can modify the structure and the overall template that was previously set.
This document contains links that refer to other files
First of all, you can try to rename your Word document and check if the problem persists. If not needed, you can also break links as that can suppress the ‘this document contains links that may refer to other files’ message. However, if the warning is still there try to:
- From Word, click on File and navigate towards Options.
- Choose Quick Access Toolbar.
- Find the Choose commands from field and then change its dropdown into All Commands.
- Scroll down and click on Edit Links to Files and then select the Add button.
- Save your changes.
- Now, the page with a chain icon should have been added to your Quick Access Toolbar.
- Click on this icon and a list of links will be displayed.
- Select these links and set to Manual Update; or break all links.
- That should fix your problem.
You can also check the following options in Word for fixing the ‘links’ issues:
- Go to File, choose Options and access Display; under Printing Options check the Update linked data before printing feature.
- Go to File, access Options and go to Advanced; then from General, check ‘update automatic links at open’.
Don’t forget to review your links before choosing to apply any certain modifications or updates to the existing document.
Also, if the error is still there after applying the steps from above, try to run the Microsoft Office automatic troubleshooter: go to File, pick Info and initiate the troubleshooter listed under Check for issues.
If you know other similar solutions that can fix this malfunction don’t hesitate and share everything with us so that we can update this tutorial accordingly – don’t worry, you will receive the credits for the shared solutions.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft Word comes with a built-in translation feature
- Can’t edit a Word doc? Here are 6 quick fix solutions to help you
- Convert LibreOffice documents to Word file format with these converters
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]