Windows 10 Technical preview for phones is finally here (but only for some Windows Phone devices)! Even though the OS is in it’s early, testing phase, users are already reporting problems. This time we have a problem of getting an Error 80188301 when trying to install Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview.
The problem occurs because of the missing base package on the phone, but there’s a solution for it. You just need to rollback your system to a clean and working version of Windows Phone 8.1 and then install Windows 10 Technical Preview once again. You can do this in two ways, by performing a hard reset of the phone and by using Microsoft’s official Windows Phone Recovery Tool. It is completely up to you, because both ways proved to be effective.
In order to perform a hard reset on your Windows Phone device, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until your phone starts vibrating
- When you feel the vibration of your phone, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until a large exclamation mark appears
- Once you see the exclamation mark, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power Power button, Volume down
- Your phone should now reset and restart itself, and you’ll have a fresh, new copy of your operating system
The other way to get your old Windows Phone 8.1 back is with Microsoft Windows Phone Recovery Tool:
- Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable
- Wait for your computer to detect the connected phone and follow the on-screen instructions
- Press Install software to and Windows Phone Recovery Tool will do all the work for you
After you rolled your OS back to Windows Phone 8.1, you just need to re-install the Windows Insider App and install Windows 10 Technical Preview again.
You can download the Windows Insider App from this link.