- The ESENT 642 wuaung.dll error can stop you from running certain programs on your device.
- But weirdly enough, the ESENT error 642 cannot be linked to a particular app. It's actually a Windows Update error.
- Try to check if there are major problems within the Windows 10 system by performing a quick scan.
- Damaged or missing DLLs or registry keys can also trigger the ESENT warning 642, so make sure you tackle the issue from this angle as well.
ESENT 642 wuaung.dll is not a common Windows 10 error, but it affects quite a few users daily. Since you might have a hard time finding the right solutions, we are here to assist you.
The Windows 10 ESENT error 642 might be displayed when you try to run certain programs from your device. For example, some users detected this problem when using the Macrium backup utility.
However, what you need to know is what’s behind this issue. Thus, right from the start, it should be clear for you that the ESENT warning 642 is not related to a certain app but with the Windows system.
In fact, it’s a Windows Update error that most likely appears because there is a corrupted Windows Update Datastore.
How do I fix Esent 642?
1. Run a third-party DLL fixer
One of the potential culprits for the ESENT 642 wuaung.dll error can be traced back to missing, overwritten or corrupted DLL files.
That’s why we recommend you start the troubleshooting and repair process by making sure that your DLL files are not compromised in any way.
Moreover, we recommend using specialized tools for the job and your best bet in this case is the all-in-one repair tool for PC, Restoro.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Run a system scan
- On your Windows 10 device open the elevated Command prompt (Admin) windows.
- In the cmd window, enter
sfc / scannow
- Wait while the scanning process is running – it might take a while depending on the number of files that are stored on your device.
- If there are issues, Windows will try to fix everything.
- In the end, restart your computer and verify if the ESENT 642 wuaung.dll problem was fixed or not.
3. Restore Windows Update Datastore
- Once more, open an elevated cmd window as explained above.
- In the cmd window, enter
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- If this command will return errors, in the same cmd window type and execute:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Restart your Windows 10 system in the end.
Since the ESENT 642 wuaung.dll error is caused by a Windows update error, you should try to restore Windows Update Datastore.
That should be all. If you are still experiencing the ESENT error 642, don’t hesitate and get in touch with us by using the comments field from below.