- If you've been playing FFXIV (Final Fantasy XIV) for a while now, you may have experienced the occasional issues, including the dreaded 10105 error.
- Apparently this error springs out of nowhere and renders you unable to connect to the game. However, we can teach you how to fix it in a few easy steps.
- Check out our Final Fantasy XIV Section for more troubleshooting guides.
- Visit our Gaming Hub to discover more gaming guides, reviews, and news.
If you’ve been playing FFXIV (Final Fantasy XIV) for a while now, you may have experienced the occasional issues, including the dreaded 10105 error.
Apparently this error springs out of nowhere and renders you unable to connect to the game.
To make matters even worse, it’s been noticed that error 10105 generally disconnects users when they’re engaged in difficult trial fights.
Some users even reported that they got logged out of trial-engaged characters, but they could access other characters without issues.
Furthermore, it would appear that error 10105 doesn’t discriminate by platform. It affects PC users, but also players who enjoy it on their PS4, PS3, or Xbox One gaming consoles.
With that in mind, how could we get rid of this pesky FFXIV 10105 error? Stick around to find out.
How to fix FFXIV 10105 error?
Wait it out
Several sources have reported that the issue occurs on Square Enix’s side, so there’s little you could do about it. At some point, this error occurred shortly after the FFXIV game servers were targeted by a DDOS attack.
Thus, it would appear that the most suitable way to bypass the error is to avoid playing the game until someone confirms that it’s been dealt with. Especially if you plan on jumping head-first into a difficult, time-consuming trial.
Use a VPN
Sometimes, the situation can be caused by your ISP’s poor traffic routing or ISP bandwidth throttling. If you suspect that’s the case, you can use a VPN to circumvent your Internet provider’s limitations.
- Purchase a premium VPN subscription plan (we recommend Private Internet Access)
- Download the VPN and install it on your PC
- Launch it and log into your account
- Connect to a fast server (nearby servers are generally faster)
- Launch FFXIV
- Check if you still get error 10105
Use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi
Not only with FFXIV, but whenever possible, make sure to always choose Ethernet over Wi-Fi. Wireless connections are much slower, they’re not as stable, and they’re prone to interference.
Also, Wi-Fi packet loss happens way more often than while using Ethernet.
While we’re on the topic, make sure that your Ethernet cables are not outdated, worn out, or damaged in any way. Bad cables could also have a great impact on how fast and stable your connection can be.
If you just switched to Ethernet, make sure to restart your router, to avoid any address assignment problems.
Flush your DNS
- On your Windows PC, launch a CMD instance
- Type the following commands, one by one, in this order:
netsh winsock reset
Restart your PC, launch FFXIV, and try connecting to the server once more. Quite often, leaving cache data to build up can lead to various connectivity issues.
Flushing and renewing your DNS address can solve many connection problems, including not being able to log into various games.
Alternatively, you can replace your ISP-assigned DNS addresses with public free ones. For instance, you can use Google’s Public DNS or Cloudflare’s.
You may notice some improvement upon replacing your DNS, but make sure you backup the ISP ones, just in case something goes wrong.
Configure Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer on your PC
- Press Alt+X on your keyboard (or click the gear-shaped button)
- Select Internet Options from the menu
- General tab:
- Click the Delete button in Browsing history
- Check all boxes
- Click Delete
- Security tab:
- Move the Security level slider to the lowest point
- Privacy tab:
- Click the Advanced button
- Select Accept for both First-party and Third-party Cookies
- Click Ok
- Advanced tab:
- Scroll down to the Security category
- Enable the Allow software to run or install […] option
- Check all the TLS and SSL boxes except SSL 3.0
- Click the Apply button, then the Ok one
- General tab:
The reason why you need to configure Internet Explorer is that the game launcher reportedly uses IE to connect to the Internet. Therefore, if there are any settings that restrict the game in any way, you’ll probably have a difficult time connecting.
Apply compatibility settings
- Right-click the FFXIV launcher executable
- Select Properties from the combo menu
- Head over to the Compatibility tab
- Select Windows 7 from the Compatibility mode menu
- Check the Run this program as an administrator option
- Click Apply, then Ok
- Restart your PC
- Launch FFXIV and check if there’s any improvement
Final thoughts on fixing FFXIV error 10105
All things considered, if you’re getting the unfamous 10105 error while playing FFXIV, there are some easy-to-follow fixes that might help you get back on track.
However, note that if the error occurs on Square Enix’s side, there’s pretty much nothing you can do about it other than wait.