- FFXIV, short for Final Fantasy XIV, is an MMORPG released by Square Enix in 2010. Although it's been released a decade ago, the game still has a strong player base.
- FFXIV, like many other online games and/or services, faces the same technical challenges, and packet loss is one of the worst ones.
- Check out the best VPNs for FFXIV if you want to access every game server.
- Visit our Gaming Hub if you want to read more awesome guides, reviews, and news.
FFXIV, short for Final Fantasy XIV, is an MMORPG released by Square Enix in 2010. Although it’s been released a decade ago, the game still has a strong player base.
More so considering that, unlike other similar games, FFXIV is subscription-based. There’s a $12.99 monthly fee you’ll need to pay if you want to enjoy the game.
However, you can enjoy a free trial if you just want to take the game for a spin. The downside is that you’ll only be able to play your character up until level 35 using the trial.
FFXIV, like many other online games and/or services, faces the same technical challenges. The ones regarding connectivity, to be more precise.
Therefore, you’ll still encounter high ping, jitter, and even the dreaded packet loss from time to time while playing FFXIV.
What is packet loss in FFXIV?
Packet loss is generally the same, no matter where you encounter it. It occurs whenever you send or receive data packets, but some of them never make it to their destination point.
As a result, a desync occurs between you and the server, or between you and the other players. Packet loss usually comes and goes, that’s why most of the time you won’t even notice it.
However, if it’s rather severe, you’ll start to notice massive slowdowns, rubberbanding, little to no responsiveness, and even disconnections if you’re unfortunate enough.
Note that most of the time, packet loss is caused by network congestion and you simply can’t do anything to avoid or fix it other than waiting it out.
How to test for packet loss in FFXIV?
- Locate the FFXIV servers’ IP addresses
- Launch CMD
- Type pathping x.x.x.x (replace x.x.x.x with the IP address you want to test)
- Wait for the test to complete
- Check which node (hop) leaks packets
FFXIV packet loss fix
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access and install it
- Launch it
- Log into your account
- Choose a fast server (one with low ping)
- Run the test again or launch FFXIV
- Check if the packet loss issue still persists
Private Internet Access is a reliable VPN service brought to you by Kape Technologies. It can easily solve your FFXIV packet loss situation, but there’s a little catch.
If you’re leaking packets on your end of the connection or if the server is the issue, there’s pretty much nothing a VPN can do about it.
Private Internet Access
Getting packet loss in FFXIV? PIA can help.
In order for the VPN fix to work, the packet loss must occur somewhere on your ISP’s side of the connection. For instance, if it throttles your bandwidth, or has improper network routing.
But even if it can’t solve your packet loss situation, investing in a VPN is a power move, especially if you’re concerned about your online privacy and the security of your connection.
Last, but not least, using a VPN can even help you bypass geo-restrictions.
2. Perform some manual connection troubleshooting
- Run the packet loss test as described above
- Switch to wired connection instead of wireless (Wi-Fi leaks packets more often)
- Try connecting straight to your router or modem
- Restart your router
- Try avoiding peak hours, if possible
- Call your ISP if the test results show there’s something wrong on their side
- Contact Square Enix if it appears that something’s wrong with the game server
- Check and fix any faulty component on your network (PC, cables, drivers, software, router)
- Make sure your firewall or security software doesn’t block or restrict FFXIV’s servers
FFXIV packet loss comes and goes
To sum it up more often than not packet loss in FFXIV comes and goes, as it’s likely caused by network congestion. However, if you notice a pattern in its occurrence, maybe stepping in is not such a bad idea.
Try using a VPN, since it’s been proven that it can help improve packet loss. However, this quick and easy fix will only work if the packet loss occurs on your ISP’s side of the connection.
If the VPN fix doesn’t work, you can always try getting your hands dirty with some manual troubleshooting. Even if it doesn’t solve packet loss 100%, it’s still healthy practice to keep your network in top shape.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use our guide on pathping to see how to run a packet loss test. As we’ve explained in our article, you’ll also have to locate the FFXIV server addresses for the test.
You can wait it out since packet loss is more often than not caused by network congestion. However, if that’s not an option, try using a VPN or troubleshooting your connection manually.
If you want to access every FFXIV server in the world (bypass geo-restrictions), check out our best VPNs for FFXIV.