- Gear of War has been a beloved franchise for years, but Gears 5, it seems, has been causing more grief than enjoyment to many players.
- There are many errors that prevent players from running Gears 5, today we are looking at the most common and how to fix them.
- Gears of War 5 has been patched and updated over and over again, but many errors still exist. To see how to fix them, check out our dedicated Fix Gears of War 5 page.
- Keep in mind that whenever you're having issues with games, the solution is more than likely covered on our extensive Gaming Hub.
You may experience dozens of bugs while playing Gears 5 on your Windows machine. Most of them are displayed in the form of error codes like Gears 5 error gw502, error 0x00000c46, Gears 5 fatal error, to name just a few.
Normally, gamers often don’t understand what an error code means and many ignore them completely.
Please keep in mind that the solutions of many issues are hidden in the error codes themselves. You just need to figure out what each error code indicates.
Fortunately, Gears 5’s developers posted a list of error codes that generally appear while playing the game.
How do I fix Gear 5 errors on PC / Xbox?
1. Fix Gears 5 error GW500/GW504
If you get the error code GW500 or GW504, this means that your device does not meet the minimum requirements to play Gears 5.
You should upgrade your graphics card to play Gears 5 on your device. You can try one of the following cards to get optimal performance while playing Gears 5.
- AMD Radeon RX 570 or AMD Radeon RX 5700
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
2. Fix Gears 5 error GW501
You may get error code GW501 or GW502 when you try to play the game on your Windows PC. This is a known issue and it is triggered when your graphics card has some compatibility problems.
Contact your graphics card manufacturer to check for the latest driver updates.
3. Fix Gears 5 error GW502/GW503
The error code GW502 means that your video card has stopped responding on your Windows device. The error code GW503 appears when your system fails to detect your graphics card.
The issue is caused due to the unstable state of your graphics card. You should reboot your machine to resolve it.
If the problem persists, check for latest driver updates by contacting your graphics card manufacturer. If you are already running an updated version, reduce visual settings.
4. Fix Gears 5 error GW510
The error code GW510 means that your graphics card does not meet the minimum VRAM requirements to play the game. Your graphics card should have at least 2GB of video memory.
You can play the game at less video memory, but it will affect the performance and quality of the game. The optimal performance can be achieved by upgrading your graphics card
5. Fix Gears 5 error GW511
If you get the error code GW511 it means that your Windows system has less than 6GB of system memory.
You should upgrade your system with at least 6GB of system memory (RAM). It is the minimum requirement to play Gears 5.
You need to carefully follow the instructions to resolve these errors on your machine. Some of them would be resolved in no time.
FAQ: Gears 5 common errors
- Why does Gears of War 5 keep crashing?
- How do I fix EAC Index not found in Gears 5?
Uninstall Gears 5 from the Start Menu (right-click > Uninstall) then go to the installation location ([install directory] > Gears 5 UWP > Microsoft.HalifaxBaseGame_220.127.116.11_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe) and open a PowerShell in this location. Type the following line in window and run: Add-AppxPackage -Register AppxManifest.xml. Once installed and repaired, run Gears 5 again.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.