- Internet Explorer may sometimes display a black screen instead of the particular web page requested by the user.
- Once that happens you can't do much on the particular webpage. We can help you fix the problem with this guide.
- Bookmark our Software page. It might help you in the future if you're looking for such information.
- If you want to understand more about browsers head over to our Browsers Hub.
Internet Explorer (IE) may, at certain inconvenient times, display a black screen instead of the particular web page requested by the user.
There are a couple of solutions you can use to solve this problem, which we will discuss below.
Possible causes of the black screen problem in Internet Explorer could be that the web page may have a feature or features which trigger rendering conflicts with the graphics processing unit (GPU).
Third-party software add-ons and extensions you have added to your Internet Explorer could also be causing the same rendering conflict.
The graphics processing unit (GPU) and some software add-ons, when handling certain web page features, may cause the display of a black screen in Internet Explorer.
How do I fix the black screen issue in Internet Explorer?
- Try another browser
- Check for pending Windows updates
- Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows
- Uninstall or remove add-ons and extensions you added to your IE browser
1. Try another browser
You can start the tweaking with our solutions below but first, because it’s a lot easier, we recommend Opera, a browser less prone to errors and more reliable overall.
This browser is increasingly better integrated with Windows 10 and receives updates every month so it keeps you safe and up-to-date. That translates to fewer errors and modern UI always.
Moreover, you can customize Opera exactly like you want, by using the built-in library containing more than 1000+ add-ons to choose from. A lot of features like an Ad blocker, a VPN, and many others are already included.
Don’t take our word for it. Download and try it for free!
OperaSay goodbye to errors and other issues. Opera is seamlessly integrated with Windows 10 and it’s highly customizable.
2. Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Accelerated Graphics, turn on the feature Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering by checking its box.
- Click OK and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Internet Explorer uses the internet display and connection settings in the Windows operating system.
3. Check for pending Windows updates
Maybe your PC is not set to automatically perform updates.
Microsoft has tried to fix this issue by setting Windows 10 Home PCs to automatically receive updates but users running older versions still have an option to opt-out of automatic updates.
Failing to update your OS can sometimes cause incompatibility issues. A patch for the same problem you are encountering may even have been released.
So it is a good idea to always check for any available updates. Depending on the Windows version you are running, simply typing check for updates in the Windows search bar is all you need to do.
4. Uninstall or remove add-ons and extensions you added to your IE browser
- Launch Internet Explorer (IE).
- Select Tools.
- Select Manage Add-ons.
- Under the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons.
- Select the required add-on.
- Select Disable, then click on Close.
It’s a prudent practice to limit the number of add-ons you use. Some periodic housekeeping implying deleting add-ons no longer in use will also help.
These fixes should help fix this black screen problem in the Internet Explorer browser.
If the problem persists even after exhausting the fixes we discussed here, the last option is to raise a support ticket with Microsoft.