- It's problematic if your League of Legends game won't install the latest updates.
- To fix this, we've prepared a list of mostly easy solutions, so follow them closely.
- Don't hesitate to search for more helpful tutorials on our Troubleshooting page.
- Our Gaming Hub helps you stay in touch with the latest news and recommendations.
Failing to update to the latest version is one of the causes; it also affects several patches of the game.
Error messages that are commonly displayed include Unspecified error occurred, Check logs for more information, or similar.
Most importantly, many beginners could find this hard to resolve as the error messages tend to be vague and not informative. And, as a result, they might give up playing the game, altogether.
Even expert gamers are challenged when such messages pop up.
The updating issues can be resolved with some solutions, however, after testing them, users got mixed results.
So if a particular solution that we’ve listed below doesn’t work for you, try the next one until you get your game updated.
How can I get League of Legends to install updates?
- Reinstall League of Legends
- Temporarily disable your antivirus
- Use an Executable patch to run the game
- Change the Update client
1. Reinstall League of Legends
Reinstalling a game is one of the best options when having update problems.
However, since League of Legends is an online game, you would need to have a good Internet speed to reinstall the game. Again, using the VPN recommended in the previous solution will be of great help.
With the fresh installation, you automatically get the latest patch version of the game, eliminating the updates issue.
2. Temporarily disable your antivirus
It is common knowledge that some antivirus tools tend to interfere with online gaming activities. As a result, the antivirus could be blocking the connection to the game servers, compromising the updating process.
If the previous solutions didn’t help, disable your antivirus before launching League of Legends, and then run the updates.
However, in some situations, you may need to uninstall the antivirus before running the update.
Note: The antivirus is an essential program for your system. Instead of completely disabling it, we recommend you use one that won’t interfere with LoL, such as Bitdefender.
Choose an antivirus for gaming because you can set them up to temporarily pause intrusive notifications while you are in the game. They run in the background, but don’t interrupt.
3. Use an Executable patch to run the game
Using an executable patch to update your game is actually better than running automatic updates. And there are several websites offering these patches.
Besides saving time, a patch can easily be removed if errors occur.
For this purpose, the game developers have inserted a patcher in the game folder. It can serve as an alternative if the game updates are not working properly.
To access this patcher follow this steps:
- Open your League of Legends folder.
- Click on the Rad folder.
- In the drop-down list, click on Projects.
- Select lolpatcher and click on releases.
- Select the file folder with numbers in its name.
- Select Deploy.
- This leads to the deploy folder where you would see an executable file named LoLPatcher.exe.
- Run the executable file.
This will update your game to the latest League of Legends version.
4. Change the Update client
- Go to the League of Legends folder.
- Click on C:Riot Games
- Search for the file User.cfg and open using Notepad.
- Change the input of the following character LeagueClientOptIn = yes to LeagueClientOptIn = no (Note: It is important you make sure you input the right characters.)
- Save and exit.
- Launch your game.
There you go, we hope that these quick suggestions helped you fix your LoL update error.
If you come across other workarounds, feel free to list the steps to follow in the comments below.