How to reinstall League of Legends
League of Legends is probably the most popular online multiplayer game today with more than 100 million players monthly. With immersive play and vivid graphics, this MOBA has changed the way we experience PvP gaming.
However, there’s never been complex software without technical issues. That is the case with League of Legends, too. Most of the reported issues have a specific set of solutions and fixes. Some of them are widespread while others less so. Nevertheless, there is a last resort to every technical issue and it’s called a reinstall. We prepared a walkthrough for you with a step-by-step explanation of the reinstallation process.
Reinstalling League of Legends
- Reinstall League of Legends using Hextech Repair Tool
- Reinstall League of Legends the old-fashioned way
1.Reinstall League of Legends using Hextech Repair Tool
The developer of the League of Legends, Riot Games, launched an interesting software solution to fix common technical issues related to the game. It is called Hextech Repair Tool and its main features are:
- Easy reinstallation or repatch
- Firewall management
- Restores the health of nearby turrets.
- Display the known issues in your region.
Hextech Repair Tool can perform ”clean” reinstall of your client in few simple steps. You can download it here.
If you’d prefer to perform the reinstallation process by yourself, you’ll first need to uninstall the client. This way process will be lengthier, but thorough. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Start.
- From here, open Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Features
- Choose League of Legends from the list.
- Select Uninstall/Remove.
- Follow the instruction until the process is finished.
- Navigate to the directory where League of Legends was installed (the C: drive by default).
- Delete the old setup files you used to install the game.
- Restart the PC.
There are also reported cases of registry issues that impact fresh installs. Our advice is to use some kind of registry cleaner and get rid of unnecessary registry entries related to LoL.
After you finished the entire uninstallation process, the next step is downloading and installing the game’s client. You can do so by following these steps:
- Download the latest version of League of Legends, here.
- Run LeagueofLegends.exe to download updated versions of setup files. The setup files will be placed in a new League of Legends folder on your desktop by default.
- After the setup finishes downloading, the installation process will begin automatically. If possible, install League of Legends to the default C:\ drive. Though, you can change it in custom install.
- When the installation process finishes, the game’s launcher will open automatically.
- If you need to open the game manually, please do so by double-clicking the League of Legends desktop shortcut, or by running lol.launcher.exe in the directory to which you installed League of Legends.
This was our walkthrough for the reinstallation process. We hope you managed to reinstall the game and start from scratch. Keep in mind that this is just a game client, so none of your in-game statistics are affected in any way.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to delete and fix Astroneer corrupt save game files
- Here’s how to fix frequent Final Fantasy XV bugs
- Fix: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Issues On Windows 10
Revolut is one of the most popular banking services in the world. Many people use it for currency exchange and online payments because it has […]
If you don’t know what is Revolut by now, you’re missing out on some financial services that could come in handy. Revolut is a banking […]