How to fix Power Calibration errors in Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Have you ever gotten the Power calibration error while trying to burn a CD or DVD in Windows 10, 8, 7? If you have, then you can read this article for a quick fix on this issue and prevent it from ever happening again. Usually, this error occurs when the writing speed of the CD or DVD in Nero or another app is not set correctly.
When you get the “Power calibration error” in Windows 10, 8, 7 while burning a CD it shouldn’t break the CD. However, in most cases, you will find out that if you get this error, your CD or DVD will not work a second time. For this reason, if you had this issue with a particular CD, the best way to approach this is to insert a brand new CD or DVD and follow the steps listed below.
FIX: Power Calibration error burn process failed
- Check your Nero software settings
- Clean your disk drive
- Use a lower burning speed
- Disable IMAPI Service
- Install a different CD/DVD burning software
1. Check your Nero software settings
- You will have to look on the internet for a Nero Burning Rom to install but be sure it is the latest version and it is compatible with your Windows 10, 8, 7 operating system.
- Double click (left click) on the “NeroSmartStart” icon you have in the downloaded folder of Nero.
- After you open it you will see that in the main menu of the program is a feature called “Extras”, left click on it.
- After you open “Extras” menu left click on “Control Drives Speed”.
- It will open a “Nero DriveSpeed” window.
- Left click on “Options” tab you have in the “Nero DriveSpeed” window.
- Be sure you have selected the check box next to “Run at startup”.
- Be sure you have selected the check box next to “start minimized”.
- Uncheck the feature “Restore speed settings on startup”.
- From there you need to select the correct burning speed for the CD or DVD.
- Left click the “OK” button you have in that window on the lower side.
- Restart the Windows 10, 8, 7 device.
- On the first window(main window) in “Nero DriveSpeed” left click on “Read speed” and select the proper speed you have for the CD.
- You will also have to check the writing speed if it is the same as “Current speed”, if it is not select the proper writing speed in accordance with the capabilities of the CD.
Note: the “Read speed” should be the same as “Current Speed”.
- Every time you want to write a CD or DVD you will have to check the writing speed from the “Nero DriveSpeed” feature and if it is not good then adjust it accordingly by following the steps above.
2. Clean your disk drive
Sometimes, dust particles may trigger various CD or DVD burning issues, including this error code. So, make sure your disc drive is clean. Also, you can have your burner laser lens cleaned professionally (or you can do it yourself if you know how to do it) to make sure that everything’s running smoothly hardware-wise.
3. Use a lower burning speed
Many users confirmed they managed to fix this issue by burning their CDs and DVDs at a slower speed.
4. Disable IMAPI Service
If the problem persists, you can try to disable IMAPI Service. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open Control Panel > go to Administrative Tools (simply type ‘services’ in the search menu) > go to Services
- Locate the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service > right-click on it > go to Properties.
- Go to Startup Type > set it to Disabled.
- Try burning your disc again or insert a new disc.
5. Install a different CD burning software
If nothing worked, try installing a new CD or DVD burning software on your computer. Some software solutions may not be fully compatible with your OS or hardware and installing a different tool may help you fix the problem.
These quick, simple steps will help you write your CD or DVD correctly on Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7 and fixing the power calibration error you might get. If this solution worked for you, let us know in the comments below. If you are still having the same power calibration error, we’ll try to find additional troubleshooting solutions.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 5 best ISO burners for PC
- This open source tool burns CDs, DVDs and BDs super easy
- How to Burn ISO Files in Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]
Microsoft released a new Windows 7 update to the general public. Update KB4457139 is actually a preview of the upcoming monthly rollup update and allows users […]