Have you ever gotten the “Power calibration error” while trying to burn a CD or DVD in Windows 8? If you have you can read this article for a quick fix on this issue and prevent it from ever happening again. Usually this error occurs when the writing speed of the CD or DVD in Nero or another app is not set correctly.
When you get the “Power calibration error” in Windows 8 while burning a CD it shouldn’t break the CD, but in most cases you will find out that if you get this error your CD or DVD will not work a second time. For this reason if you had this issue with a particular CD the best way to approach this is to insert a brand new CD or DVD and try to steps posted below.
How to fix the “Power calibration error” in Windows 8
- You will have to look on the internet for a Nero Burning Rom to install but be sure it is the latest version and it is compatible with your Windows 8 operating system.
- Double click (left click) on the “NeroSmartStart” icon you have in the downloaded folder of Nero.
- After you open it you will see that in the main menu of the program is a feature called “Extras”, left click on it.
- After you open “Extras” menu left click on “Control Drives Speed”.
- It will open a “Nero DriveSpeed” window.
- Left click on “Options” tab you have in the “Nero DriveSpeed” window.
- Be sure you have selected the check box next to “Run at startup”.
- Be sure you have selected the check box next to “start minimized”.
- Uncheck the feature “Restore speed settings on startup”.
- From there you need to select the correct burning speed for the CD or DVD.
- Left click the “OK” button you have in that window on the lower side.
- Restart the Windows 8 device.
- On the first window(main window) in “Nero DriveSpeed” left click on “Read speed” and select the proper speed you have for the CD.
- You will also have to check the writing speed if it is the same as “Current speed”, if it is not select the proper writing speed in accordance with the capabilities of the CD.
Note: the “Read speed” should be the same as “Current Speed”.
- Every time you want to write a CD or DVD you will have to check the writing speed from the “Nero DriveSpeed” feature and if it is not good then adjust it accordingly by following the steps above.
Above you have a simple way for writing correctly a CD or DVD within Windows 8 and fixing the power calibration error you get. Write us a couple of words below if this solution worked for you or if you are still having the same power calibration error in Windows 8.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.