How to fix Red Alert 2 issues in Windows 10
Red Alert 2 is one of the best games of the Command and Conquer series. However, it is also one of the older games in the franchise that predates recent Windows platforms. As such, not all RA 2 players can get the game up and running. These are a few resolutions that might kick-start Red Alert 2 for Command and Conquer fanatics who need to fix the game.
Fix Red Alert 2 bugs in Windows 10
- Open the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
- Run Red Alert 2 in Compatibility Mode
- Configure the Game’s Resolution
- Adjust Red Alert 2 Game Settings in Origin
- Play Red Alert 2 Multiplayer Games at CnCNet
1. Open the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
First, check out the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter included in Windows. That troubleshooter can fix compatibility issues for more outdated software. Follow the guidelines below to open the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
- Press the Type here to search button on the Windows 10 taskbar to open Cortana.
- Enter ‘troubleshoot’ in the Cortana search box and select Troubleshoot to open the window in the image directly below.
- Select the Program and Compatibility troubleshooter listed there.
- Press the Run the troubleshooter button to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Then select Red Alert 2 in the troubleshooter‘s software list, and press the Next button.
2. Run Red Alert 2 in Compatibility Mode
Red Alert 2 returns a “FATAL String Manager failed to initialized properly” error for some players who can’t get the game up and running. Running RA 2 in compatibility mode is a fix more specifically for that error message. You can run RA 2 in compatibility mode as follows.
- First, open the Red Alert 2 folder in File Explorer.
- Then right-click the gamemd.exe in File Explorer and select Properties to open the window.
- Select the Compatibility tab in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Then select WinXP (Service Pack 3) on the platform drop-down menu.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator check box on the Compatibility tab.
- In addition, adjust the graphical settings by selecting Reduced color mode and 16-bit color from the drop-down menu.
- Then click Apply to confirm the new settings, and press the OK button.
- Repeat the above guidelines for every exe in your Red Alert 2 folder, such as Ra2.exe, game.exe, YURI.exe and RA2MD.exe.
3. Configure the Game’s Resolution
Red Alert 2 was designed for lower resolution monitors. Some players have fixed the game by adjusting its resolution to match their current VDU resolutions. You can configure Red Alert 2‘s resolution by editing its RA2.ini file as follows.
- Open the Red Alert 2 directory within File Explorer.
- The right-click the RA2.INI file in the Red Alert 2 directory and select Open with.
- Select to open RA2.INI with Notepad.
- Then edit the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values in the RA2.INI file to match your current display resolution.
- In addition, edit the VideoBackBuffer attribute to a no value. The attribute should be configured as: VideoBackBuffer=no.
- Click File > Save to save the RA2.INI.
4. Adjust Red Alert 2 Game Settings in Origin
- If you downloaded Red Alert 2‘s Ultimate Collection pack from EA Origin, you might also need to adjust the game’s properties in Origin. Open Origin in Windows and click My Games.
- Right-click Red Alert 2 to select Properties on its context menu.
- A window will then open that includes a Command Line Arguments text box. Enter ‘-Win’ in the text box.
- Select the Disable Origin in Game for this game option on the window, and press the OK button.
— RELATED: Fix: Unable to run Steam games in Windows 10
5. Play Red Alert 2 Multiplayer Games at CnCNet
If you can’t play any RA 2 multiplayer matches in local network, check out this page on CnCNet. CnCNet provides a fresh multiplayer client for Red Alert 2 that you can download. Note that Red Alert 2 is not included with the CnCNet multiplayer client download.
Aside from the above resolutions, there are also numerous patches available that can fix Red Alert 2 issues. You can download official EA patches for Red Alert 2 from this page. Some of the resolutions in this post might also fix Red Alert 2 crashes.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 14 things to do when your Windows Store game crashes
- Seven of the best first-person shooter games for PC
- 5 best gaming monitors for a perfect gameplay in 2018
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]