- The video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys alert means that something went wrong with your AMD / ATI graphic card. Don’t worry because it's only a software problem between your graphic card and Windows 10.
- One of the solutions requires you to boot the computer in Safe mode. If you can't follow the steps in this article, please read the complete guide on how to boot in Safe Mode.
- If you're looking for other solutions to System Errors check our System Errors hub.
- If you experienced any other Windows 10 errors we've got the place for you. Go to our Windows 10 errors hub.
In most situations, the errors that you may experience while using Windows 10 are caused by the firmware itself.
Sometimes, certain alerts and errors are being displayed because of corrupted files related to hardware components, such as the graphics card.
Well, in our situation, the video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys alert is telling you that something went wrong with your AMD / ATI graphic card.
Don’t panic, this isn’t a hardware malfunction, but a software mismatch between your graphic card and the Windows 10 platform.
How do I fix video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys error in Windows 10?
1. Update display and graphic drivers
The first thing to do when receiving a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) along with the video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys error is to update your video drivers; here is how to complete this first troubleshooting solution:
- Press the Win+X keyboard keys. From the list that opens click on Device Manager.
- From Device Manager find the Display adapters entry and expand it – it should be located in the left field of the main window.
- Now, right-click on each graphic driver and select update.
- If asked, select search automatically for driver software.
- Wait while the wizard is running.
- Restart your Windows 10 system in the end.
Keep in mind that all outdated drivers cause malfunction and errors.
Since updating drivers manually can be a long and tedious process, you might want to use a tool that will automatically update all your drivers for you.
Download TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to do it automatically. This tool will help you to avoid permanent damage to your PC by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
2. Reinstall the graphic drivers from Safe Mode
If updating the drivers isn’t fixing the video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys error, you should uninstall and reinstall the software for refreshing the graphics features.
This operation should be completed from Safe Mode as then all third-party apps and processes will be stopped by default.
- Press the Win+R keyboard keys and in the Run box type msconfig and press Enter.
- From System Configuration switch to Boot tab.
- Under Boot options check Safe boot and beneath click on Network.
- Save and apply your changes and restart the Windows 10 system.
- From Safe Mode access Device Manager as already showed and find your graphic cards.
- Right-click on each driver and select ‘uninstall’.
- Now, install the latest version of the Intel chipset driver on your computer.
3. Use CMD commands
- First of all, download the latest built of ATI / AMD graphics card driver.
- Next, on your computer navigate towards the following path: C:WindowsSystem32drivers.
- Look for the atikmdag.sys file and rename it into atikmdag.sys.old.
- Access the ATI directory located on your C drive and copy-paste the atikmdag.sy_ file on desktop.
- Open an elevated command prompt window on your PC – right-click on the Windows start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- In cmd type chdir desktop and press Enter – this will change the default cmd directory.
- Now, enter expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.
- When the process is completed, copy the atikmdag.sys file from your desktop and place it to C:WindowsSystem32Drivers.
- Restart your Windows 10 system in the end.
Your Windows 10 system should now be running without any errors associated with your AMD / ATI graphic card.
Keep in mind that the video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys malfunction is specific to the already mentioned graphic component.
If you are using an NVIDIA or Intel display driver the issue will be slightly different with the error code named nvlddmkm.sys or igdkmd64.sys. However, in both situations the troubleshooting solutions from above should help you fix everything.
For more information on how to fix error nvlddmkm.sys, check out this troubleshooting guide.
FAQ: Read more about BSoD errors
- What is Atikmpag Sys?
- How can I fix video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys error?
- What are TDR settings?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.