- The need for privacy created a real demand for VPN solutions. If you have issue with your VPN please visit our Fix VPN section.
- Updating the printer drivers is quick solution. However, there are situations when you want to stop automatic driver updates. Check out this list for more details.
- Windows dedicated systems are prone to system errors that stop them from running optimal.
- Are you having trouble with Windows errors ? Check out our exclusive Windows 10 errors hub.
Print to PDF is a new feature in Windows 10 that allows you to print anything on your computer as a PDF file. This is a feature that many users requested, but unfortunately, many users are reporting that this feature isn’t working for them on Windows 10.
Here are some more examples of this problem:
- Microsoft Print to PDF not working Windows 7 – Although we’re talking about Windows 10 here, you can easily apply most of these solutions to Windows 10.
- Adobe Print to PDF not working Windows 10 – Adobe Print to PDF is also a popular tool for saving webpages, and since it works on a similar principle, you can apply the solutions from this article to it as well.
- Microsoft Print to PDF corrupted – This is one of the error messages you might encounter on the way.
- Print to PDF not saving – Another common error message.
How do I fix Print to PDF feature on Windows 10?
Table of contents:
- Check the Users folder
- Change the output directory
- Set Print to PDF as a default printer
- Make sure that the file name or destination folder doesn’t contain any commas
- Remove the Microsoft Print to PDF and replace its driver
- Update the printer driver
- Install the latest updates
1. Check the Users folder
Some users reported that they don’t see the dialog that lets them save a PDF file to a specific directory. This problem is mostly related to Microsoft Edge, since Edge sometimes saves the PDF documents to the default directory automatically.
If you don’t see the save dialog while using Microsoft Edge, make sure to check C:Users%username% folder for saved PDF files.
Some users reported that Edge stores saved PDF file in the UserDocuments folder automatically, so make sure that you check it as well.
2. Change the output directory
There are reports that Print to PDF feature isn’t working correctly if you save your PDF files to the Documents folder.
Users reported empty PDF files when saving them to Documents folder, but you can easily fix that by choosing a different output directory for your PDF files.
3. Disable Print to PDF feature and enable it again
Number of users claim that you can fix problems with Print to PDF feature simply by disabling and enabling the feature. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter windows features. Select Turn Windows features on or off from the menu.
- When Windows Features window opens, locate Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click OK to save changes.
- Restart your PC.
- When your PC restarts, repeat the same steps and enable Microsoft Print to PDF again.
- Click OK to save changes.
After enabling the feature again, Print to PDF should be working again without any issues.
If your PDF files are not printing properly in Windows 10, check out this complete guide to fix the problem easily.
4. Set Print to PDF as default printer
Users claim that setting Print to PDF as a default printer fixes the problems with this feature, therefore you might want to try that. To set Print to PDF as a default printer, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter printers. Select Devices and Printers from the list of results.
- When Devices and Printers window opens, navigate to the Printers section.
- Locate Print to PDF, right-click it and choose Set as default printer from the menu. After doing that, you should see a green check mark next to Print to PDF meaning that it’s set as a default printer.
5. Make sure that the file name or destination folder doesn’t contain any commas
Number of users reported that having commas in your file name or destination directory for PDF files will create a PDF file with the size of 0 bytes.
To avoid this issue, make sure that the name of PDF file and the name of destination directory doesn’t contain a comma.
It has been confirmed by users that comma causes this issue, but just to be safe, maybe you should avoid using special characters completely until Microsoft fixes this issue.
6. Remove the Microsoft Print to PDF and replace its driver
Few users claim that removing the printer and installing it again fixes the issue, so you might want to try that. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Devices and Printers section.
- Locate Microsoft Print to PDF, right-click it and choose Remove Device.
- After you’ve removed Microsoft Print to PDF, click the Add a printer button.
- Click The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
- Select PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) from the menu and click Next.
- Select Microsoft and Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Select Replace the current driver option and click Next.
- Add a name for the printer and wait for Windows to install it.
If you want to know how to remove a corrupted printer driver, take a look at this article and find out more about it.
7. Update the printer driver
If replacing the printer driver didn’t solve the problem, you might as well try to update the current one. In case you don’t know how to do that, just follow these instructions:
- Go to Search, type device manager, and open Device Manager.
- Expand Print queues.
- Right-click Microsoft Print to PDF, and go to Update driver.
- Follow further on-screen instructions.
- Restart your computer.
Update drivers manually
If you don’t want the hassle of updating drivers manually, we strongly suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus.
After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide on how to do it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater.
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
After reinstalling Microsoft Print to PDF, you should be able to print to PDF without any issues on Windows 10.
Print to PDF is a welcome addition to Windows 10, but as you can see, few issues with it can emerge. We hope that some of our solutions were helpful to you and that you’ve managed to fix problems with Print to PDF.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
FAQ: Learn more about PDF printing.
- Why can’t I print a PDF in Windows 10?
When using a web-browser right-click anywhere on the webpage and select Print from the options. If you can print your PDF file from your browser, then the issue behind the problem might be your Acrobat Reader.
- Why can’t I print a PDF on my Mac?
Security features in Snow Leopard and later editions might disable the Adobe PDF Printer. Adobe Acrobat 9.1 Pro and later editions up to Acrobat 11.0.x Pro remove the Adobe PDF Printer. Additionally, they add a Save As Adobe PDF command. Customers using earlier versions of Adobe Acrobat in Snow Leopard cannot use the Adobe PDF Printer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in 2016 and it has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.