Xbox One controller is not working on PC? We may have the solution
Gamers can use Xbox One controllers to enrich their gaming experience on their PCs. Using a console controller for PC games is a great way to make your game play more interesting and immersive. However, since the Xbox One is not built specifically for PC gaming, users may have trouble getting it to work on their Windows OS. So, if your Xbox One controller is not working on PC, then you will want to try out the fixes below.
Speaking of Xbox controllers, if you use an Xbox 360 controller and you can’t get it to work, we have a dedicated troubleshooting guide for this problem as well. Follow the steps listed in the respective article to get your controller back on track.
Xbox One controller won’t work on PC
Fix 1: Make sure you set up your Xbox One controller correctly
For Windows users, usually all you need to do is plug connect your Xbox One controller to your PC through a micro USB cable. Both Windows 7, the most popular OS among gamers, and Windows 8.1 OS will automatically download the drivers for the controller. You also do not have to worry about installing the drivers as Windows will do that also. However, if Windows is not automatically installing your drivers then you will need to update them manually. The next fix will show you how to update drivers for Xbox One controllers.
Fix 2: Update drivers for Xbox One controller
Out of date drivers is probably the most common cause of this issue. Fortunately, it is easy enough to update your drivers. If you are not completely sure on how to update your Xbox One drivers for PC, then try these simple steps:
- Open Device Manager. You can always use Cortana to search for it on Windows 10. However, if you are using another version of Windows, then you will need to open the Run dialog. Do this by pressing the Windows key + R together at same time on your keyboard. Once the box is opened, type in ‘devmgmt.msc’. This should open the Device Manager, which will look like the picture below.
- Next, you will need to locate a section labeled “Microsoft Xbox One Controller”.
- Expand the section, then right click on the subsection with the same label. A list should appear as you right click. Click on Update Driver Software.
- Choose the option that will automatically update your driver software.
You can of course alternatively browse your computer for driver software if you know what you are doing. This option can ensure you have the correct update. However, usually the automatic update will work perfectly fine.
- Related Articles:How to fix PlayStation 3 Controller problems on PC
Fix 3: Change faulty hardware
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is astonishing how many users forget that their hardware could be causing connectivity issues. If you are unsure whether or not your cable or controller is working, then you can bring it to a computer store to get it tested. Also, try unplugging and plugging it back in. You’d be surprised how many times that can work.
If you are using wireless controllers then you will want to check if the batteries need changing or recharging. Also, if you can, try using a different Xbox One controller. This can help you identify whether or not the problem has to do with your controller.
Fix 4: Using the troubleshooting feature
Windows has a troubleshooting feature that can help you resolve the problem. Here is how you troubleshoot problems related to Xbox One controllers by using this feature:
- Go to the Windows menu by pressing the menu key or by clicking on the Windows icon on the task bar.
- A Window with a long list of areas where you can troubleshoot will appear.
- Locate the section called ‘Hardware and Devices’.
- Click on ‘ Run the troubleshoot ‘ under that section. Windows will then automatically scan your hardware for any possible malfunctions and errors.
Fix 5: Reinstall while disabling antivirus programs
When users install the drivers of the Xbox One controllers on their PCs, sometimes the firewall and antivirus applications on that computer can prevent the drivers from being installed correctly. Furthermore, even though Xbox One is from Microsoft, the firewall of Windows may not recognize the device as trustworthy. The fix below is meant to solve issues related to antivirus applications. Here are the steps:
- Turn off both Windows Firewall and any antivirus programs you may have on.
- Delete your drivers.
- Restart your computer.
- Install the drivers again.
- Turn your antivirus programs back on.
There could be multiple reasons why your Xbox One controller is not working on pc. So, naturally there will be more than one way to fix this issue. Let us know which solution worked for you.
- Fix: Xbox one S keeps disconnecting from the internet for no reason
- Pre-order your Xbox One X now before it’s sold out again
- Windows 10 users: Microsoft Store relaunch will include hardware for purchase
When it comes to the latest features for the new Chromium Edgde, Microsoft is listening more and more to what users want and need. That’s […]
You may experience dozens of bugs while playing Gears 5 on your Windows machine. Most of them are displayed in the form of error codes. Normally, […]
Despite the fact that Chrome is the market holder and the most used browser in the world, it still has some things that can be […]