How to fix Xbox One controller USB device not recognized error on Windows 10
Some users are using their Xbox One controller on their PC, but sometimes they might encounter USB device not recognized message. This can be an annoying problem, and in today’s article we’ll show you how to fix it.
Problems with USB devices can sometimes occur, and many users reported that their Xbox One controller was not recognized. This can be a problem, but there are other similar issues that can occur. Speaking of similar issues, here are the most common problems that users reported:
- Xbox One controller not working on PC, USB device not showing up on PC, USB device not found, keeps disconnecting PC – This issue usually occurs due to your drivers, and in order to fix the problem, reinstall your Xbox One controller driver and check if that helps.
- Xbox controller not recognized Windows 10 – If this problem occurs on your PC, be sure to check your cable. Sometimes the cable might not be compatible with your controller, so you’ll need to replace it.
- Xbox One controller USB device not recognized just flashing, blinking – If your controller isn’t paired properly with your PC, you might encounter this problem. To fix the issue, try pairing the controller again and check if that works.
- Wired Xbox One controller not working – Sometimes this problem can occur due to your USB port. To fix the issue, connect the controller to a USB port on the back of the PC and check if that solves the problem.
Xbox One controller gives a USB device not recognized message, how to fix it?
- Reinstall Xbox controller drivers
- Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Update USB drivers
- Turn off your antivirus and reinstall the driver
- Try using a different USB cable
- Update Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator driver
- Update Windows and connect the controller to the ports on the back
- Reconnect the controller
Solution 1 – Reinstall Xbox controller drivers
A common cause for USB device not recognized message can be your drivers. If your PC can’t recognize Xbox One controller, perhaps you can fix this problem simply by reinstalling your drivers. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start Device Manager. To do that quickly, press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate your Xbox One controller, right-click it and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- You should now see a confirmation dialog. Click the Uninstall button to remove the driver.
- After removing the driver, click Scan for hardware changes icon.
After a couple of moments, the default driver will be installed and the issue should be resolved. Some users are also suggesting to install the Xbox One controller driver manually. To see how to manually install the drivers, check out Solution 6 for some guidelines.
Solution 2 – Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
If you’re getting USB device not recognized message while using the Xbox One controller on your PC, the problem might be some minor glitches. These glitches can appear for various reasons, and if you encounter this problem, perhaps you can fix it by using Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
Windows has many troubleshooters available, and they are designed to automatically fix various problems. To use a troubleshooter, just do the following:
- Use Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When the Settings app starts, navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left. In the right pane choose Hardware and Devices and click Run the troubleshooter.
Once the troubleshooting process is completed, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 3 – Update USB drivers
According to users, if Xbox One controller is giving you USB device not recognized message, the problem is most likely your USB controller driver. To fix this problem, it’s advised to visit your motherboard manufacturer and download the latest USB drivers for your motherboard.
This process is fairly simple if you know the model of your motherboard and where to look for the necessary drivers. However, if this process seems a bit complicated or tedious to you, you can always use third-party applications such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
By using this tool you’ll be able to update all drivers on your PC automatically with just a couple of clicks.
Solution 4 – Turn off your antivirus and reinstall the driver
In some rare instances, your antivirus can interfere with certain drivers and cause problems with certain devices. If you’re getting USB device not recognized message while using an Xbox One controller, perhaps you should turn off your antivirus and reinstall the driver.
In some cases, you might even have to remove your antivirus in order to solve this problem. If removing the antivirus solves the problem, you should consider using a different antivirus solution.
Bitdefender offers amazing protection, and it won’t interfere with your system or other devices in any way, so we recommend that you try it out.
Solution 5 – Try using a different USB cable
If you’re getting USB device not recognized message while trying to use an Xbox One controller, then the problem might be your cable. According to users, there are several types of USB cables, and some cables might be designed only for charging, while others support both charging and data transfer.
If your Xbox One controller isn’t working properly, or if it’s not recognized, try replacing your USB cable and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 6 – Update Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator driver
According to users, if your Xbox One controller is giving you USB device not recognized message, the problem might be Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator driver. To fix the issue, users are suggesting to update this driver. You can do that manually by following these steps:
- Open Device Manager.
- Locate Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator, right-click it and choose Update driver from the menu.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Select Plug and Play Software Enumerator and click Next.
After you update the driver, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Update Windows and connect the controller to the ports on the back
If your Xbox One controller is not recognized, the problem might be your USB port. Sometimes USB device not recognized message can appear if there’s an issue with a USB port, or if the device just isn’t working with that port.
To fix the problem, connect the controller to the port on the back of your PC and check if that solves the problem. If the issue is still there, you should try updating your system and check if that helps. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and head over to the Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button in the right pane.
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded in the background. Once the updates are installed, you’ll be asked to restart your PC in order to install them. After your system is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 8 – Reconnect the controller
According to users, if you’re getting USB device not recognized message the problem might be because the controller isn’t properly paired with your PC. To fix that, just press the pairing button on your adapter and then press the pairing button on your controller.
After doing that, the controller will be paired with your PC and the necessary USB drivers will be installed. Once the controller is paired, check if the problem is still there.
Problems with the Xbox One controller can sometimes appear, and if you’re getting USB device not recognized message, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Xbox One controller is not working on PC? We may have the solution
- How to use the Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- Fix Xbox One Controller Errors on Windows 8, 8.1
Microsoft has just showed users a little more of what the 19H1 update has in store for Windows 10. Revamped storage is one of the […]
Adobe Premiere Pro is one of the best video editing tools on the market, but some users reported Adobe Premiere Pro couldn’t find any valid […]