- Do you know that the default way links within a web page open in Firefox can be changed? Yes, you can force the browser to open any link in a new tab.
- If you have in mind the idea of a shortcut to open a link in a new tab, you’ll see that you’re not that far from the truth.
- Moreover, another confirmed tip involves changing some essential configuration settings.
- How can you open a link in a new tab? Type about: config in the address bar and follow our detailed procedure with no hesitation.
Mozilla Firefox is one of the many available browsers to help you browse the Internet faster, safer and easier. It is free, open-source, and is developed by the Mozilla Foundation.
As with other browsers, this one will install all the features with default options. However, Firefox allows you to change some of these defaults.
When you read a page and want to click on a link from that page, the way it will open by default depends on the webpage settings. It can either open in a new tab or in the same tab.
If speaking about opening links in a new tab, instead of the same tab as the default settings of the site are, there are multiple tips to apply.
How do I get Firefox to open a link in a new tab?
1. Use your keyboard
- Go to the link you have in mind and hover the mouse over it.
- Press on the CTRL key on your keyboard and left-click on the link. You can find the CTRL key on the left downside of your keyboard.
How do I get Firefox to open a new tab with the keyboard? Assuming that’s your question too, rest assured that you’re in the right place to find answers.
Let us tell you from the start that there is a simple trick to do with your keyboard, whenever you need to open a certain link in another tab. Just refer to the above steps in that regard.
2. Change configuration settings
- Open a new tab in your browser, type about: config in the address bar, and hit the Enter key.
- Click on Accept the Risk and Continue.
- In the Search preference name bar, look for the parameter browser.search.openintab. It has to be set to true (false by default). Just click on the toggle from the right side.
- Do the same for browser.urlbar.openintab, browser.newtabpage.enabled and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs .
- Search for browser.link.open_newwindow and check to have the value 3.
- Also, search for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to have the value 0. To modify the value double click on it and then click on the check marked sign on the right.
- Restart Firefox to keep the changes.
If you always want to have links opening in new tabs when you normally click on them, despite the site settings, unfortunately, there isn’t any check box in Firefox Options for this to happen.
Anyway, you can try to modify that in the advanced configuration settings. Refer to the above procedure with no hesitation.
Both methods presented above are easy to do and work each time. From now on, you can open links in new tabs, no matter the default site settings. So, just choose the one you feel more comfortable with.
We can only hope that this guide helped you have a better perspective on how to use this browser and troubleshoot this issue. Let us know in the comments area below if you were successful too.