- Forza Horizon 5 Windows 11 crashing issues can be due to conflicting antivirus programs and other software and missing game files.
- Disabling or uninstalling startup programs is one potential fix for Forza Horizon 5 not working issues.
- Some users might need to select certain compatibility options if Forza Horizon 5 is not launching.
- Verifying or resetting the game might also kick-start the game for some players.
As a new game release, Horizon 5 does have a few stability issues. Some players have reported Forza Horizon 5 Windows 11 crashing at startup or soon after starting the game.
So, the game might run for a few minutes before crashing for some players. However, other players can’t get the game started all when it crashes at startup.
Either way, Forza Horizon 5 isn’t playable if it’s not launching in Windows 11 or when it crashes all the time and we are here to address these issues.
What are Horizon 5’s minimum system requirements?
If you’ve recently installed Horizon 5, and never played the game before, double-check its system requirements first.
Forza Horizon 5 might not be working because your PC doesn’t fully meet its system requirements. The screenshot directly below shows the game’s minimum system requirements:
Overall, most gaming PCs no more than three to four years old will probably meet Forza Horizon 5’s bare minimum system requirements. If you’re still not sure if your PC can run it, check out the Can You Run it website. Search for Horizon 5, and the click Can You Run It button there.
How come Horizon 5 isn’t working in Windows 11?
Conflicting programs is a widely cited cause for Forza Horizon 5 in Windows 11 not working. Many users have needed to remove, or at least disable, antivirus software to fix the game.
Aside from antivirus software, there are numerous other third-party programs confirmed to conflict with the game.
Forza Horizon 5 is a new game with some flashy graphical effects. Therefore, outdated or faulty graphics card drivers are another potential cause for Forza Horizon 5 Windows 11 crashing.
Or the game might not launch because of a faulty or broken installation. In other words, it hasn’t been installed correctly, with certain files either missing or corrupted. In which case, verifying the game’s files, resetting it via Settings, or reinstallation could all be potential solutions.
What can I do if Forza Horizon 5 is crashing in Windows 11?
1. Run Horizon 5 as an administrator
- Right-click Horizon 5’s desktop shortcut icon to select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Then select the Run as an administrator checkbox.
- Select Apply and OK to save the setting.
- Thereafter, click the Forza Horizon 5 desktop shortcut to run the game.
If you’re a Steam player, try configuring the Steam client software to run as administrator as well. Our run Steam as an administrator guide provides all the details.
2. Reset the game app
- To bring up a search tool, click the taskbar’s magnifying glass button.
- Input apps & features within the search utility’s text box.
- Select Apps & features to bring up a list of installed apps in Settings.
- Next, click Horizon 5’s three-dot button to select Advanced options.
- Press the Reset button for the game.
- Click Reset to confirm the selected option.
3. Verify integrity of game files
- Launch the Steam gaming client software.
- Click the Library tab within Steam.
- Right-click Forza Horizon 5 within your games library to select Properties.
- Next, click the Local Files tab.
- Then select the Verify Integrity of Game Cache option.
- Wait for the validation process to finish, and then click the Close button.
4. Disable Game Mode
- Bring up Windows 11’s search box.
- Type the keyword Game Mode in the search tool’s text box.
- Next, select the Game Mode settings search result.
- Click Game Mode’s On button off.
5. Disable or uninstall third-party antivirus software
First, try disabling any third-party software installed on your PC. That’s something you can usually do by right-clicking system tray icons for antivirus tools and selecting disable (or turn off) settings on their context menus. Select to disable the antivirus software for a few hours before running Horizon 5.
However, some users might need to completely uninstall their antivirus software to fix Forza Horizon 5 not launching in Windows 11.
If disabling the antivirus utility doesn’t do the trick, consider removing it via Programs and Features. These are some of the antivirus tools confirmed to conflict with the game:
- Avast Antivirus
- Bitdefender Firewall
- Comodo Antivirus
- Trend Micro Maximum Security
- Emisoft Anti-Malware
6. Restart your PC’s network adapter
- First, right-click the Start menu’s button to select the Run shortcut.
- Input this Run command:
- Click Run’s OK button.
- Right-click your PC’s network adapter to select the Disable option.
- Wait a few minutes, and then right-click the same network adapter to select Enable.
7. Update the graphics driver
- Open an NVIDIA or AMD driver download page in your browser, depending on what type of graphics card your PC has.
- Choose your graphics card model on the website’s menus, and click either the Search or Submit button.
- Press the Download button for the compatible driver listed for your graphics card.
- When you’ve downloaded the driver package, press the Windows and E keys at the same time.
- Open the folder that includes the downloaded driver package.
- Double-click the NVIDIA or AMD driver package to open its setup wizard and install.
As an alternative to manual download and installation, you can utilize third-party driver updater software. DriverFix is one such utility that will scan your PC’s devices and list those with outdated drivers. You can select download and install options in that utility to update the drivers.
8. Update Microsoft Visual Studio
- Open the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable page in your web browser.
- Click either the X64 (64-bit) or X86 (32-bit) download links for Visual Studio depending on your PC’s system architecture.
- Open File Explorer (press its Windows key + E hotkey).
- The open the folder you saved the Visual Studio installer package to.
- Double-click the Visual Studio setup wizard to open it.
- Click the I agree checkbox.
- Press the Install button.
9. Clean-boot Windows 11
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + X hotkey and selecting its shortcut on the menu.
- To bring up the MSConfig tool, input this command in the text box and click OK:
- Click the Selective radio button, and deselect the Load startup items option.
- Make sure you’ve got the options for Load system startup services and Use original boot configuration selected.
- Select the Services tab in System Configuration.
- Click the checkbox for Hide all Microsoft services to select that option.
- Press the Disable all button for all the remaining services.
- Select Apply to save the new boot configuration options.
- Then click OK to exit System Configuration.
- Press the Restart button within the dialog prompt for rebooting.
- After restarting, try running Forza Horizon 5 again.
Does this resolution fix the issue? If so, there was probably a program conflicting with Horizon 5. You’ll need to figure out what program that was if you want to play the game with the original boot configuration restored. These are some programs known to cause Horizon 5 crashing:
- MSI Afterburner
- Nahimic Audio
- Sonic Audio
- Wallpaper Engine
- Logitech G Hub
10. Reinstall Horizon 5
- First, bring up the Apps & settings tab as covered within the first steps of resolution two.
- Click the three-dot button for the Horizon 5 game.
- Select Uninstall on the menu.
- Before reinstalling the game, click the Power and Restart Start menu options.
- Open the Start menu, and select Microsoft Store there.
- Type Horizon 5 in the MS Store app’s search box.
- Click the Forza Horizon 5 search result to open its MS Store page.
- Then download and reinstall the game from there.
Did the developer fix Forza Horizon 5?
PlayGround Games has released recent patch updates (hotfixes) that address Horizon 5 crashing issues in November 2021. The release notes for Horizon 5’s November 17 update says that hotfix resolves several crashes and multiplayer issues.
That’s just one recent update, and there might be plenty more to follow. So, it’s recommended that players check for Horizon 5 updates. To do that in Windows 11’s MS Store app, click the Library tab that you can see below. Then you can select the Get updates or Update all options for apps there.
The potential resolutions above will likely fix many crash issues for Forza Horizon 5 in Windows 11. A lot of players have confirmed they’ve been able to solve the problem with those resolutions. That doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed for all players, but they’re certainly worth a try.
If those resolutions aren’t enough to fix Forza Horizon 5 Windows 11 crashing for you, consider contacting Forza Support service for further suggestions. To submit a support request to that service, you’ll need to sign in to the Forza Support website with a Microsoft account.
You can also discuss Forza Horizon 5 Windows 11 crashing in the comments section below. Feel free to post any troubleshooting questions there. Players who have discovered other ways to fix Horizon 5 are also most welcome to share their methods below.