- Have you noticed any unusual spam emails or aggressive ads popping up?
- It's possible that your device has caught the Foxiebro malware. We're showing you how to remove it.
- With our extensive security guides in the Antivirus section, you can ward off any cyberthreats.
- For other helpful articles on dealing with cyber-treats, see our Removal Guides Hub.
If you’re familiar with the idiom A wolf in the sheep’s clothing, you’re already halfway in understanding what Foxiebro is and how dangerous it can be.
The adware browser modifier is one of the most deceitful malicious programs you’ll ever encounter in everyday use. And Foxiebro is right there at the top.
For that purpose, we prepared a detailed explanation of this malware and ways how to remove it from your system.
If your browser is already infected or you want to find out how to protect, make sure to continue reading.
Whenever you suspect that any type of malware has gotten into your OS, your first concern should be to clean the device as quickly as possible. It is possible that you have to enter Safe Mode to do that.
VIPRE comes with a Ransomware Protection tool that is designed to find exploits even before they are launched.
However, if the system has already been infected, the tool will rapidly scan your system and detect even the most advanced known or emerging threats, thanks to the ultimate technologies it uses.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusGet rid as soon as possible of any threats that have infiltrated into your system with this powerful antivirus.
What is Foxiebro malware and how it works?
Foxiebro is primarily a variation of BrowserModifier (adware), but it is commonly associated with Trojan viruses and various spyware extensions.
It installs in the background and integrates into your default browser. And then the problems begin. This nasty malware commonly comes in form of an add-on, plug-in, or browser extension.
Once installed, it will do the following:
- Bombard you with numerous ads in search results, on web sites, or with pop-up advertisement windows.
- Change the default search engine and the home page of the affected browser.
- Tweak registry keys in order to start with the system.
- Occasionally hijacking your online accounts and spam acquired e-mail address.
- Enable viruses and malware to install on your computer in the background.
So, it’s not only an annoyance as BrowserModifiers tend to be but a proper high-level threat. An ad blocker might help you to some extent, but as you can see for yourself, ads are only the tip of the iceberg.
It can reach your system in various ways, including spam e-mail, malicious links, or, most commonly, through a third-party program installation.
The following programs are known carriers for the Foxiebro malware, as stated by Microsoft Malware Protection Center:
- Between Lines
- Fragile Fixer
- Hold Page
- Metal Maker
- Newer Version
- Primary Result
- Screen Flip
- Search Vortex
- Special Box
- Web Amplified
Take a close look when dealing with these or similar programs and don’t let them install any unwanted feature.
Due to the complexity of Foxiebro malware intrusion, you’ll need to make an effort in order to remove it from your computer.
How do I remove Foxiebro from my PC?
- First, type Control in the search bar, and open Control Panel.
- From the Category view, open Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall lately installed, suspicious programs. (The list above should come in handy here.)
- Navigate to C:\Programs (or Programs x86) and delete the remaining files of the uninstalled program.
- Now, open Windows Defender from the taskbar notification area.
- Choose Virus & threat protection.
- Open Advanced scan.
- Select Windows Defender Offline Scan and click Scan now.
- Your computer will restart and the scanning procedure will start.
You can perform the deep scan using Vipre, as well, as suggested in the beginning.
Additionally, in case the adware got too far into the system, you can find here a full guide on recovering your Windows 10 device after malware infection.
And this is the safest way to deal with Foxiebro. We’d like to hear what’s your experience with BrowserModifier or Foxiebro in particular? Tell us in the comments.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and was completely revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.