Foxiebro malware: How it works and how to remove it
If you’re familiar with the expression ”A wolf in the sheep’s clothing”, you’re already half there in understanding what’s Foxiebro and how dangerous it can be. The adware browser modifier is one of the most deceitful malicious programs you’ll ever encounter in everyday use. And Foxiebro is right there at the top.
For that purpose, we prepared the detailed explanation of this bothersome malware and ways how to remove it from your system. If your browser is already infected or you want to find out how to protect, make sure to continue reading.
What it is and how it works
Foxiebro is primarily a variation of BrowserModifier (adware), but it is commonly associated with Trojan viruses and various spyware extensions. It installs in the background and integrates into your default browser. And then the problems begin. This nasty malware commonly comes in form of an add-on, plug-in, or browser extension. Once installed, it will do the following:
- Bombard you with numerous ads in search results, on web sites, or with pop-up advertisement windows.
- Change default search engine and the home page of the affected browser.
- Tweak registry keys in order to start with the system.
- Occasionally hijacks your online accounts and spam acquired e-mail address.
- Enable viruses and malware to install on your computer in the background.
So, it’s not only an annoyance as BrowserModifiers tend to be but a proper high-level threat. Ad-Blocker might help you to some extent, but as you can see for yourself, ads are only the tip of the iceberg. It can reach your system in various ways, including spam e-mail, malicious links, or, most commonly, through a third-party program installation.
These programs are known carriers for the Foxiebro malware, as stated by Microsoft Malware Protection Center:
- Between Lines
- Fragile Fixer
- Hold Page
- Metal Maker
- Newer Version
- Primary Result
- Screen Flip
- Search Vortex
- Special Box
- Web Amplified
Take a close attention when dealing with these or similar programs and don’t let them install anything unwanted. Due to the complexity of Foxiebro malware intrusion, you’ll need to make an effort in order to remove it from your computer.
How to remove Foxiebro from your PC
On the first look, you might be tricked into thinking that it’s easy to get rid of this annoyance. It spreads like a disease, so you’ll need to take multiple steps in order to get it out. Moreover, it can hide while the system is running, so it’s harder for anti-malware solutions to locate it with the real-time protection feature. Follow the instructions below to completely remove Foxiebro from the system:
- First, type Control in the Search Bar, and open Control Panel.
- From the Category view, open Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall lately installed, suspicious programs. The list above should come in handy here.
- Navigate to C:Programs (or Programs x86) and delete the remaining files of the uninstalled program.
- Now, open Windows Defender from the taskbar notification area.
- Choose Virus & threat protection.
- Open Advanced scan.
- Select Windows Defender Offline Scan and click Scan now.
- Your computer will restart and the scanning procedure will start.
You can do this with any other third-party anti-malware tool, as well. Nonetheless, don’t forget to perform a deep scan analogous to Offline Scan on Windows Defender. However, if there’s no such option, you can start your system in Safe Mode and perform a quick scan. Only that way you can be sure that it’s dealt with Foxiebro.
What’s your experience with Browser Modifiers or Foxiebro in particular?
Make sure to tell us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to: Recover your Windows 10 PC after malware infection
- Windows Defender touted as the safest malware protection tool
- Microsoft OneDrive falling prey to malware attacks
- Facebook Messenger malware/adware attacks affect thousands
- Crysis Ransomware decryption keys unveiled by malware
Using a VPN on your Windows Server has a lot of advantages for all parties included and it allows users in a small environment access to […]
The Windows 10 Action Center includes Quick Action buttons that provide shortcuts for adjusting settings. For example, users can press the Tablet mode button to […]