Some users have said that they can’t uninstall programs with the MSI Windows Installer as it gets stuck while gathering the required information.
That error can arise for one specific program or numerous software. These are a few of the potential resolutions that might fix the Gathering required information error for some users.
Fix Windows installer gets stuck on gathering required information
1. Update the Windows 10 Build Version
- Some users have confirmed that they’ve fixed the “gathering required information” error by updating Windows 10 to the latest build version. Microsoft is now rolling out Windows 10 1903, and users can update Win 10 to that version by pressing the Windows key + S hotkey and entering ‘updates’ in the search box.
- Click Check for updates to open the window shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Press the Check for updates button.
- Click Download and install now when the Windows 10 May 2019 Update appears.
- Thereafter, users will need to restart Windows 10 when the update has downloaded.
2. Uninstall Software in Safe Mode With SafeMSI
- Users have also said that they uninstalled software that the “gathering required information” error arises for with SafeMSI, which enables users to utilize the Windows Installer service within Safe Mode. First, start Win 10 in Safe Mode by clicking Power on the Start menu and holding the Shift key when pressing the Restart button.
- Thereafter, select the Troubleshoot and Advanced options after the desktop or laptop restarts.
- Select the Startup Settings option.
- Then click the Restart button.
- Press 5 to select the Enable Safe Mode with Networking option.
- Click Download Now on SafeMSI.exe’s CNET page.
- Open the File Explorer (press the Windows key + E hotkey).
- Then open the SafeMSI ZIP file in File Explorer.
- Click SafeMSI to run that program and enable Windows Installer in Safe Mode.
- Then try uninstalling the program that the “gathering required information” error arises for in Safe Mode.
3. Check out Repair MSI
Repair MSI is a utility that can fix numerous Windows Installer (MSI) errors. So, that software might come in handy for resolving the “gathering required information” error. Click Download Now on its Softpedia page to save the Repair MSI archive to a folder. Users can click the RepairMSIWindowsInstaller.exe file to open the window in the snapshot directly below. Then press the Start button to fix MSI.
4. Reregister the Windows Installer Service
- Reregistering the Windows Installer is also worth a shot as that often fixes MSI errors. To do that, open the Type here to search box with the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter ‘cmd’ in the search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt to select Run as administrator, which will open an elevated CP window.
- Input the following separate commands in the Prompt, and press Return after entering each one.
- Thereafter, close the Command Prompt; and restart the desktop or laptop.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: