How to uninstall McAfee when the removal tool doesn’t work
Your McAfee Antivirus license has just expired. You tried to remove the software from your computer but some strange error messages prevent you from completing the procedure correctly? Do not despair, this guide can help you solve the problem.
The developers of McAfee, you should know, have released a small uninstallation utility that allows you to delete all traces of the antivirus from the computer even when the standard removal procedure fails its goal. It weighs just under 8MB, it’s free and incredibly simple to use!
The procedure applies to the classic McAfee AntiVirusPlus but also to the McAfee Family Protection, McAfee Internet Security, McAfee Total Protection and McAfee LiveSafe suites.
Can’t uninstall McAfee? Try these solutions
- Uninstall McAfee (standard procedure)
- Uninstall McAfee using the removal tool
- Uninstall McAfee apps from smartphones and tablets
1. Uninstall McAfee (standard procedure)
- The first step you need to take is to remove McAfee LiveSafe / Internet Security and McAfee WebAdvisor from your PC. The first is the actual antivirus, the second one is an extension for the browser that allows you to know the reputation of the websites that you visit.
- Then click on the Windows Start button (the flag located in the lower left corner of the screen).
- Select Control Panel.
- Click on the Uninstall a program option in the window that opens.
If you use a PC equipped with Windows 10, you can reach the same screen by clicking the Start button, selecting the gear icon from the menu that appears and then clicking on the Apps item in the Settings app.
- Select the icon for McAfee LiveSafe, McAfee Internet Security or the version of the antivirus that you have installed on your PC and press the Uninstall / Change button located at the top (on Windows 7 and Windows 8.x) or under the application icon (on Windows 10).
- In the window that opens, click on the Yes button.
- Put the check mark next to the entries McAfee LiveSafe (or McAfee Internet Security) and Remove all files for this program.
- Press the buttons Remove, Remove, Close and No, thanks to complete the process of removing McAfee.
In addition, it’s also advised to remove SiteAdvisor software by following the aforementioned steps.
When the operation is complete, restart your computer for all changes to take effect and complete the removal of McAfee and all of its components.
2. Uninstall McAfee using the removal tool
If you did not find McAfee LiveSafe, McAfee Internet Security, or SiteAdvisor on the list of programs installed on your computer, do not worry, you can uninstall McAfee using the removal utility that you can download from the antivirus site.
- Download the McAfee Removal Tool.
- When the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file. Click the Yes button and then click Next.
- Accept the conditions of use.
- Complete the procedure of removing McAfee Antivirus by clicking on Next, typing the verification code that is displayed on the desktop and pressing Next.
- At this point, wait a few minutes for all the components of McAfee to be detected and removed from the PC. Click on the Close and Restart buttons to restart the PC (essential to complete the uninstallation of McAfee).
Note: if you removed McAfee with the removal utility because the standard procedure was not successful, remember to deactivate the antivirus license (if necessary) by visiting McAfee’s website, logging in with your account information and clicking the Disable button for your computer.
Also, it’s recommended to use the removal utility as soon as you download it. The software is constantly updated and if you don’t have the latest version, it might not work properly.
3. Uninstall McAfee apps from smartphones and tablets
The latest versions of McAfee suites also include apps for smartphones and tablets. If you want to remove those too, here is a brief explanation of how to do it.
On Android, to uninstall McAfee just follow the next steps:
- Select the icon of the app from the drawer.
- Keep your finger pressed for a couple of seconds and drag the icon to the trashcan icon that appears in the upper right corner.
- Select OK when the warning appears on the screen and you’re done.
Alternatively, to get the same result you can go to the Settings menu> Android app and then select the McAfee and press the Uninstall button on the screen that opens.
We hope this guide helped you solve the problem with removing the McAfee from your Windows PC. Please let us know in the comments section below.
- Why you should disable McAfee before updating Windows 10
- Best antivirus software to use for online banking
- 10 best uninstaller software for PC users
Many EA fans reported There was a problem connecting to EA servers while trying to run certain games. Luckily, most of the time it’s not […]
As we all know, no game launch is truly without some hiccups. And the newest installment from the Mortal Kombat series makes no exception — […]
If you have multiple user accounts and you’re using Windows 10 Technical Preview, an error might occur. That will force your computer to automatically login […]