- WMV is a video format that doesn’t take up so much hard disk drive space. So, some users prefer WMV to the more versatile MP4 .
- This guide tells you how users can convert MP4 videos to the WMV file online and with third-party software that’s compatible with both Windows and Mac platforms.
- Our How to hub includes a multitude of handy guides for a wide range of software.
- You can browse through other file conversion articles at the Convert hub.
MP4 and WMV are two prevalent video file formats established by Moving Pictures and Microsoft. Many users prefer to save videos with those formats, which are widely supported by media players.
MP4 is a more widely supported video format than WMV as it can handle h.264. As WMV is a format more specifically designed for Windows, it’s not so widely supported by Apple-based media players.
The WMV format has a higher compression format than MP4, which means WMV file sizes are typically smaller. WMV’s smaller file sizes make it better for YouTube video streaming and email video attachments.
So, many users might prefer to convert their MP4 videos to the WMV format for YouTube and to save hard drive space. You can convert MP4 videos to the WMV format with web apps and software.
How can I convert MP4 videos to the WMV format?
1. Use WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is the ideal software for converting MP4 to WMV.
This is a powerful video conversion tool that can convert a multitude of 4K/HD and regular video formats to a wide variety of output alternatives.
Furthermore, WinX is more than just a file converter as it includes some video-editing options. Users can crop, trim, expand, and apply subtitles to the converted video output.
Using this software you can also easily download YouTube videos, compress videos, and also supports level-3 hardware acceleration for faster video transcoding.
- Open the WinX HD Video Converter and click the Video button.
- Next, select an MP4 video to convert, and click Open.
- Click PC General Video on the Output Profile window.
- Select the WMV Video option.
- Press the Browse button to select a destination folder for the WMV video.
- Select the Intel or Nvidia to enhance video conversion speed.
- To enhance the video picture quality, select the Use High-Quality Engine option.
- You can merge multiple MP4 videos together by selecting the Merge checkbox.
- Click Run to initiate the conversion.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
Get started on converting Mini DV files to DVD with the powerful WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe.
2. Use a web app converter
- Open the FreeConvert website.
- Choose the MP4 video to convert to WMV.
- Click Advanced options to open additional settings.
- Select a resolution for the output file.
- Click the Video Aspect Ratio and choose the desired setting.
- Press the Convert To WMV button.
- Click the Download WMV button to save the file to your hard drive.
Note: To select an MP4 video saved in cloud storage, hover the cursor over the small arrow on the Choose Files button. Then you can select the options displayed.
As you can see, converting MP4 to WMV files is straightforward with WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe and FreeConvert’s MP4 to WMV converter.
Websites like Online-Convert, Cloudconvert, and Convertio also include similar video conversion tools, but FreeConvert’s utility includes good options.