- The Mail App is pre-installed by default on Windows 10 PCs.
- Some users do not need its features and want to disable it.
- You can turn off the app's notifications, turn off the background app, or directly uninstall the app.
- We will show you in our article 3 solutions on how to disable the Mail App on Windows 10.
Mail and Calendar is one of the default apps pre-installed with Windows 10.
However, some users might prefer to disable the Mail background app to free up system resources or turn off its notifications.
Some users might want to completely remove the Mail App so that it can’t conflict with their preferred email client software, such as Outlook, in any way.
How can I disable the Mail App in Windows 10?
These are three alternative methods for disabling the Mail App in Windows 10 and you will find out about all of them in the lines below.
1. Turn off the Mail App’s notifications
Users who just need to disable Mail’s notifications can do that by adjusting the app’s notification settings
- First, click Mail on the Start menu.
- Then click the Settings button shown directly below.
- Click Notifications to open the settings in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Apply to all accounts option.
- Then turn off the Show notifications in the Action Center setting.
2. Disable the Mail App from running in the background
- Users can disable Mail running as a background app via Settings. To do that, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter the keyword ‘background app’ in the search box.
- Click Background apps to open the Settings window as in the snapshot directly below.
- Then turn off the Mail and Calendar app setting.
3. Uninstall the Windows Mail App
1. Press the Windows Key.
2. Type apps in the search bar.
3. Select Apps & features from the list to open the window shown directly below.
4. Scroll down to the Mail and Calendar app.
5. Press the Uninstall button. This will complete the uninstallation. However, if you are using an older Windows 10 build, jump to the next step.
6. In older build versions, some users might need to remove Mail and Calendar with PowerShell. Enter PowerShell in Windows 10’s search box.
7. Right-click PowerShell and select the Run as administrator option.
8. Then input the following command: Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage
9. Press the Enter key to run the command. This will uninstall the Mail App.
Users who don’t need Mail can completely uninstall the app to disable it. This ensures that the app is completely gone from your Windows 10 PC.
So, that’s how users can disable Mail. Users who need to utilize that app can disable the Mail background app and turn off its notifications.
Those who utilize Outlook can uninstall Mail to completely disable the app and ensure there are no email client conflicts.
We hope that this article helped you turn off the Windows Mail app on your device. If you had any issues trying our solutions, let us know in the comments section below.