All my desktop icons changed to Internet Explorer [TECHNICIAN FIX]
Did you notice that all your software icons changed to a single icon (Internet Explorer)? This can happen suddenly and it is caused by a conflict with the .Ink extension, and also possibly the IconCache.db file.
One user shared his concerns on the Microsoft Answers forum.
Recently, all of my icons on my desktop and in the start menu have changed to the Internet Explorer icon. Also, when I checked my administrator files, they all end in LNK. I am not able to go into any of my programs through My Programs.
In this fix article, we will explore a few proven methods to solve this issue. Read on to find out how.
Why did all my icons turn to Internet Explorer icon?
1. Delete the .Ink key file from Registry Editor
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard
- Type ‘regedit’ (without quotes) in the Run box, and then press Enter.
- Inside the Registry Editor, use the folder tree on the left side of the screen, and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>FileExts>
- Inside the FileExts folder, search for the .Ink subfolder, and delete it
- Close the System Registry, and restart your PC
- Check to see if the problem persists, if it does, follow the next method
2. Remove the IconCache.db file
- Close all open folders
- Click on the Start button
- Search for the folder Windows System > Right click on Command Prompt > More > Run as administrator
- To end the Explorer process, type in the following command ‘taskkill /f /im explorer.exe’ (without quotes), and press Enter
- Inside Command Prompt type ‘CD /d %userprofile%AppDataLocal’ (without quotes), and press Enter
- After this, type ‘DEL IconCache.db /a’ (without quotes) ,and press Enter again
- Next, type ‘EXIT’ (without quotes) and press Enter
- Next, we will restart the explorer process: go back to your Task Manager window, click on File, select Run new task
- In the pop-up window, type in ‘explorer.exe’ (without quotes), and press Enter
- Restart your computer
If you have any suggestions or want to give us your opinion on this fix, please use the comment section found below.
- How to download Windows 10 Icon Packs
- How to Make Taskbar Icons Bigger in Windows 10
- Fix: Desktop Icons Missing in Windows 10
Jacquard fabrics are extremely beautiful and elegant designs that can transform the vibe of the room instantly. Because of this fact, through the ages, people […]
The Xbox Twitch app allows you to stream contents live from your console to your Twitch viewers. Sometimes, after making some changes like changing the […]