How to increase laptop volume beyond 100% in Windows 10
Laptops don’t usually come with external speakers, which restricts their maximum volume a little. However, you don’t always need to add some new speakers to increase a laptop‘s audio beyond 100%.
Windows already has a few settings you can select to raise a laptop‘s or desktop‘s audio a little beyond the default maximum, and there are also numerous third-party programs that can increase volume by up to 500%.
How to increase laptop volume beyond maximum
1. Select the Loudness Equalizer Option in Windows
First, check out the Loudness Equalizer option in Windows. Selecting that setting will raise the volume a little above its default maximum for PCs with Realtek audio drivers.
However, not all sound cards support equalization. This is how you can select the Loudness Equalizer option in Windows 10.
- Press Cortana’s taskbar button, and enter the keyword ‘audio’ in the app’s search box.
- Select Manage audio devices to open the window directly below.
- Select Speakers and press the Properties button to open the General tab shown in the snapshot below.
- Select the Enhancement tab on the Speakers Properties window.
- Select the Loudness Equalizer check box on the Enhancement tab.
- Press the Apply > OK buttons to close the window.
2. Adjust the Volume Bars on Video Pages
Video pages on YouTube and similar sites usually include a volume bar. You might find a YouTube video’s sound doesn’t match up to the selected audio level in Windows if its slider is further to the left of its volume bar.
You can adjust the audio level of a YouTube video by hovering the cursor over the speaker icon shown in the snapshot directly below.
3. Add Boom 3D sound enhancer to Windows
This tool is a wonderful audio enhancer that will allow you to experiment with the sound on your Windows laptop or PC however you like. Boom 3D has a wonderful equalizer with a number of well-built presets that you can use, or you can create your own preset from scratch. Creating your own preset can boost your laptop volume over its basic 100%.
While many players or programs simply boost all the frequencies, Boom 3D lets you smoothly increase the volume whithout damaging your speakers or headphones. The sound will be clean and the frequencies will not interfere. Plus, you can add multiple sound effects that will help you raise your laptop volume over 100% whithout having a harsh sound.
4. Add VLC Media Player to Windows
The freeware VLC media player has a default volume level of 125% for video and music. As such, video and music playback in VLC is 25% higher than the maximum volume in Windows. You can also raise the VLC volume to 300% by adjusting one of the software’s settings as follows.
- Press the Download VLC button on the VLC homepage to save the media player’s setup wizard to Windows.
- Open the VLC setup wizard to install the software.
- Then open the VLC window.
- Select Preferences on the Tools menu. Alternatively, press the Ctrl + P hotkey to open VLC‘s Preferences window.
- Select the All radio button at the bottom left of the Interface Settings tab.
- Enter the keyword ‘maximum volume’ in the search box.
- Click Qt to open further Qt interface settings.
- Input ‘300’ in the Maximum volume displayed text box.
- Press the Save button to apply the new setting.
- Close and reopen VLC media player to restart the software.
- Now VLC‘s volume bar will be up at 300% instead of 125%.
5. Add Sound Booster to Windows
Is a 300% volume increase not enough? Then how about a 500% increase instead? Letasoft boasts that its Sound Booster software raises Windows’ audio level by up to 500%. That might be marketing hype, but the program will certainly raise the volume beyond 100%. The software raises sound with APO effects and code injection.
Sound Booster is not freeware, but you can try out a trial version of the program for a couple of weeks by pressing the Download Now button on this website page. The trial version doesn’t amplify sound for a few seconds every five minutes. The Basic Sound Booster version is retailing at $19.95.
When you have the software running, click its system tray icon. Then you can select an Enable option on its volume bar. You can also select Interjection and APO effect Boost Mode settings from Sound Booster’s context menu. In addition, Sound Booster enables its users to set up hotkeys to adjust the audio with.
6. Add the Volume Booster Extension to Chrome
Google Chrome users can increase the audio a little more with the Volume Booster extension. The extension’s developer claims Volume Booster raises the volume by up to four times the original audio level. The add-on does increase Chrome’s audio to some extent.
Open this web page and press the green button there to add the extension to Chrome, and restart the browser. Then you can press the Volume Booster button on Chrome’s toolbar to boost the sound. Press the Turn off button to revert the browser back to the original volume.
So you can raise the volume in Windows somewhat more than 100% with the Loudness Equalizer option, VLC media player, Volume Booster and Sound Booster. You can also rev up the volume by installing third-party equalizers such as Equalizer APO. These Bluetooth speakers might also boost the audio in Windows.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since revamped and updated with new products so our users would have a wider range of alternatives.
Around the middle of this year, a firmware update for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 devices was released. Quickly afterwards, reports started coming in of display […]
Microsoft launched the first Windows 10 OS version in 2015. Ever since that day, Windows 10 has become paramount for the big M. So much […]