- IoT security is a major concern among home users. Luckily, antivirus developers have just the right solutions to keep your devices at bay from hackers.
- We explore a few such tools, bringing forward the best features so that you can make a quicker decision in choosing the right one.
- If you're new to IoT, explore our separate IoT Section for a lot of useful material.
- Also, in our Antivirus Hub, you'll find a lot of useful tools and tips on how to protect your digital activity.
Most users won’t usually forget to protect their laptops and computers from viruses that can wipe out or to severely infect their programs or their work and compromise their whole system’s security.
But we don’t have to forget also to protect our IoT gadgets and gizmos and provide them with the same enhanced security.
There are a lot of antivirus and antimalware tools out there, and to make your choice much easier we picked the best of them that are able to provide your gadgets increased antivirus protection.
What are the best IoT antivirus and antimalware solutions?
Vipre is a great solution, easy to use that ensures complete, real-time protection for your device system.
Without exception, each year, VIPRE earns top ratings in the security area from the most important antivirus testing authorities.
Every year, VIPRE earns top security ratings from the most important independent antivirus testing authorities.
Although this software does not come with a lot of features, it is extremely efficient in protecting your device.
It keeps your device safe from viruses, malware, worms, Trojans and any other threats.
Vipre AVGet the best protection for your device against common threats with this simple, yet extremely efficient tool. Get the best deal now!
At first use, Bullguard might seem a little too over-protective, having the tendency to throw false positives that can get in the way of legitimate activities.
But overall, BullGuard continually scans code for signature and all kinds of anomalies that are associated with malware and provides you intelligent triple layer protection.
Any detected malware is locked down in quarantine, and then it is neutralized before the infection can even begin.
Further features include:
- Recognition of trusted applications and sites.
- Home network scanning.
- Improved firewall with added layers of heavy-duty protection against intruders and malware, to block unauthorized attempts to connect a device to the Internet.
- Continuous vulnerability scanning to notify you whenever a device needs updating.
- Easy installation; 24/7 free expert support.
BullGuard AntivirusGet BullGuard to have 24/7 protection on your entire home network and safeguard all Internet traffic.
Bitdefender Box 2 is an Internet security solution that incorporates hardware, software, and cloud as well. It is designed to protect all your smart home connected devices.
The tool is created for personal use and it secures in real-time smartphones and smart TVs and any other smart home appliances or gadget that is connected to the Internet.
Bitdefender Box is 100% compatible with your Home network, and it provides maximum Internet speeds.
Oher essential features included in Bitdefender Box:
- Vulnerability assessment and URL Blacklisting.
- Allows user access and control over the home network remotely, via a smartphone.
- Single mobile app used as a management console for all devices in your Home Network.
- Parental control option, ideal for monitoring your kids’ online activity and manage the screen time.
Bitdefender Box 2Protect all your smart home appliances and gadgets with Bitdefender Box 2 to benefit from 24/7 security and the best next-gen technologies.
Norton is already providing online security to more than a billion IoT devices. Moreover, the company has revamped its products, so that Norton 360 with LifeLock provides now all-in-one security for all your devices, online privacy, and identity.
The product comes with multi-layered, advanced security that helps to protect against existing and emerging malware threats to your devices.
The Password Manager and the LifeLock Identity Alert System secure your most sensitive personal data, as well as alter you if any of these are used in any online processes without your consent.
Other notable features that help secure your home network:
- VPNFilter that monitors against the installation of malware onto devices and systems connected to your router. It can provide bank-grade encryption to help keep your information like passwords and bank details secure and private.
- SafeCam to keep potential intruders via your webcam at bay.
- Parental Control option to control your kids’ online activity.
Norton 360 LifeLockGet the best multi-layered, real-time protection for all your home devices with Norton 360 LifeLock.
F-SecureTOTAL equipped with the SENSE router allows you to protect and secure all your IoT devices with a single protection interface that will turn out to be really easy to use. F-Secure SENSE is a combination of a security router, an advanced security application, and industry-leading cloud protection.
SENSE has to be connected to an existing Wi-Fi router to provide security to a home network.
Check out the most important features that are packed in the F-Secure SENSE software:
- Protects everything that is connected to your home network (from your computers and phones to smart TVs, baby monitors, and other devices).
- Continuous motoring of all incoming traffic, to adapt the analysis, update the information in cloud, and immediately block potential threats.
- Blockings certain devices is made based on the user’s normal behavior.
- Powerful 4× internal antenna for a stronger Wi-Fi signal.
- The router comes with 512MB of RAM and a 1GHz dual-core processor
Avast is another developer of antimalware software currently used worldwide by over 50 million clients.
Avast technologies combine rich data with AI and machine learning to continuously update IoT devices’ behavior and offer Avast clients the best vulnerability detection rate and protection against IoT threats.
Avast has dedicated products, such as Avast Omni, that can protect your entire home network, securing all incoming traffic. What’s more, the powerful on-device security for your smartphones, for instance, extends network protection beyond your household.
Notable features to convince you:
- Webcam Shield to keep your built-in camera safe from spyware attacks.
- Real-time security, intelligent tracking of threats, and an extra layer of protection for your files, browser, network, and passwords.
- Complete security for your network, irrespective of its size.
- The mobile phone apps optimize device space and keep your transactions, or email private and secured.
- User-friendly and easy to install
Comodo Cloud Antivirus is yet another software that has adapted its technologies to serve the IoT environment.
Comodo Cloud Antivirus provides the user with real-time monitoring, sandboxing of unknown files. It obtains unique information from all connected smart devices so that the cloud server can analyze usage patterns to eliminate suspicious traffic.
The software is light on system resources, as well as easy to install and to use.
And, most importantly, it also comes free of charge for one computer. However, if you have more devices (which is probably the case for a home network), you’ll have to enroll in a yearly plan.
These are the best six solutions that provide enhanced cybersecurity for your IoT devices. Check out more details on their features by heading to their official websites and decide which one best suits your needs.
All these solutions will help you protect your IoT better than ever before; you just have to pick your favorite and enjoy its features for enhanced.
FAQ: Read more about protecting IoT devices
- How do I protect my IoT devices?
Firstly, use a customizable home router such as the ones presented in this guide. Then, use a dedicated antivirus software and password-protect all home devices.
- What is IoT in security?
IoT security is the technology area concerned with protecting all connected smart devices and networks in the Internet of things.
- Can IoT devices be hacked?
Yes, allowing any home device to connect to the Internet opens them up to hacker attacks if they are not properly protected.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in December 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.