FIX: Keep Your PC on Until This is Done
Updates are useful for our computers, but applying them could be annoying and boring sometimes. Especially if some error occurs and you end up stuck with installing just one update for hours.
Unfortunately, your computer may sometimes freeze while configuring updates. This issue may trigger various error messages, such as ‘Please do not power off or unplug your machine‘ or ‘Keep Your PC on Until This is Done‘. Of course, taking hours to install an update is not a normal thing, but luckily, this issue can be fixed.
You downloaded your updates as usual, but when you restarted the computer, you noticed that Windows is taking much longer than usual to configure an update, and it keeps you stuck there for hours. Obviously, there’s an error in configuring updates, and to solve this do the following.
Keep your PC on until this is done while installing update
Solution 1: Restart your computer
Press and hold the power button for a couple of settings, until your computer shuts down. After that, turn on your computer and check if you’re able to boot normally.
Solution 2: Use System Restore
If you’re able to boot normally, you’re good to go, otherwise try to start your system in Safe Mode and perform System Restore. To do that, perform the following steps:
- Boot your PC and press F8 while it boots
- You’ll get a simple, text based menu called Advanced Boot Options. In Advanced Boot Options select Safe Mode
- The system will boot
- While you’re in Safe Mode, go to Search, type system restore and open System Restore
- Follow the wizard ans select the latest check point that worked
- Complete the installation, let the system restart and wait a couple of minutes
Your system should be restored to the latest working configuration now.
- RELATED: Fix: ‘Configuring windows updates 100% complete don’t turn off your computer’ on Windows 10
Solution 3: Use the Windows install disc
If even restoring the system didn’t work, try to repair your system files with the Windows installation disc. Insert the disc, reboot your system, but instead of installing a new, fresh copy of Windows, choose Upgrade and it should repair your system files, without deleting your data.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Solution 4: Disable your antivirus
Sometimes, your antivirus and firewall tools may block your updates. Try turning these tools off and check if this method solved your problem.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to Delete Downloaded Windows Updates Which Failed to Install
- Windows Updates message gets your computer stuck? Here’s the fix
- Fix: No Internet Connection after installing Windows updates
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Here we have it folks, Dangerous Driving is out now. Brought to you by Three Fields Entertainment, a team formed with former members of Criterion […]