- Word editors had existed since the early 1960s when they were launched as standalone machines.
- Depending on the content that has been crossed out, strikethrough can represent two different meanings.
- There are different ways of adding strikethrough on text in other editors. Apart from using shortcuts, you can also use built-in formatting features.
A word editor, also known as a word processor, can be defined as a device or software that allows you to create, print, and edit documents. You can type content, display it on a screen or print material, store it electronically, and use different keyboard shortcuts, characters, and commands for modifications from a keyboard, including a keyboard shortcut for strikethrough.
Computers were built to help solve different things. However, word processing is the most popular function that they help with. Due to technological advancements, you can access a word editor either as a software application installed on a mobile device and computer or as a cloud service offered by different vendors.
Word processors were first launched in the early 1960s as standalone machines that resembled electric typewriters. They were better than typewriters because they allowed users to make changes to their documents without retyping the entire document. More features were introduced later, allowing users to use spell-checking, use advanced formatting options, and save their documents on disks.
Later in the 1980s, word editors were introduced to personal computers. One of the most popular word editors was known as WordPerfect. Even though this word editor was good, it was later pushed out by more advanced word processors that came with the WYSIWYG philosophy. This allowed users to see what they would get on their final printed documents.
In the 1990s, Microsoft Word became the most popular word processor. Today, there are multiple word editors. They all come with different formatting options. But how can you use strikethrough shortcuts on these word editors?
What does strikethrough mean?
Strikethrough is a representation of words with a horizontal line through the center. Here is an example of how this process looks after applying:
Striking through text can be used on different word processors and has various meanings, but there are two widespread meanings, depending on the type of content that has been stricken through.
If it is typewritten (even when using typewriter software), ink-written, or any other text that cannot be deleted or erased, then any text with strikethrough is not supposed to be in the document. They are thereby a mistake and are not supposed to be included.
When used on a typed text such as Google Docs on a computer or mobile device screen, for instance, striking through text might be used to show text that has been deleted recently. This indicates a change of mind even after the writer is done typing the entire text. For instance, you might come across a text like, “Jackson is poor in football, a primary football player.
This can mean that even though the writer initially indicated that Jackson is poor in football, they had a change of thought and changed the sentence to Jackson as a basic football player.
How do you strike through text?
Different word editors have various ways through which you can strike through text. You can also use shortcut software to change the mapping of your keyboard keys. You need to ensure that your content has meaning and is stricken through the correct text. Let us learn about the keyboard shortcuts for striking through text in different editors.
Is there a keyboard shortcut for strikethrough?
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough Google Docs
- Sign in to your Google account. If you do not have one, you can sign up for free.
- Launch Google Drive and click on the New button on the top left side of the screen. Next, select Google Docs to open a new document.
- You can open an existing document if you have one. If not, you can start typing your content on the new document above.
- Select or highlight the text you want to strike through, and press Alt + Shift + 5.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough Excel
- Launch Microsft Excel on your Windows machine.
- If you have an excel sheet that you want to edit, open it. If not, open a new excel sheet.
- Add content to your excel sheet.
- To strikethrough a particular cell, select that cell and press CTRL + 5.
- If you want to strike through multiple cells, select all of them and press CTRL + 5.
- To strike through part of a text in a cell, select that text and press CTRL + 5.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough in Word
- Launch Microsft Word on your computer.
- If you have a word document that you want to edit, open it. If not, open a new one.
- Add content to your word document and select the text you want to strikethrough. This can be a single word, a sentence, or a paragraph.
- Press Alt + H + 4. Press these keys at the same time.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough Outlook
- Launch Outlook on your computer.
- Click the compose new email button.
- Compose an email and then select or highlight the text you want to strikethrough.
- Unfortunately, we will have to add strikethrough via the formatting dialog. First, click on the email body and press CTRL + D. This opens a font dialog box.
- Select the checkbox next to strikethrough. This shows you what your text will look like. Click the OK button.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough OneNote
- Launch OneNote on your machine.
- Open if you have an existing OneNote document that you want to edit. If not, open a new one.
- Add content to your OneNote document.
- Select the text you want to strikethrough.
- Press CTRL + Hyphen (-) simultaneously for the OneNote strikethrough shortcut.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough sticky notes
- Launch sticky notes on your machine.
- Add content to your sticky notes. You can open existing sticky notes if you have any.
- Select the text that you want to strike through.
- Press CTRL + T.
The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough Mac Notes
- Navigate to System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.
- Click the + sign at the bottom, select the Notes app from the list of apps, the name of the command you want to add (Strikethrough in this case), and then add the key combination. We will use SHIFT + COMMAND + X. Click the Add button.
- After that, launch Mac Notes and use this shortcut when adding strikethrough to text.
Can you cross out text on social media?
Since you can strikethrough text on most word editors, it would make sense if you found yourself in a situation where you would like to cross out text on social networks. Unfortunately, social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook do not come with a way through which you can cross out text. However, you can use tools such as the Strikethrough Text Generator.
All you need to do is paste the text you want to cross out on this tool, cross it out, and then copy it again and paste it into your social media account. You will have applied strikethrough formating.
Crossing out text on Discord is, however, easier. You need to add two tilde keys (~) at the beginning and the end of the text that you want to strikethrough. An example would be ~~This is a crossed-out text in Discord~~. On Whatsapp, you add a single tilde key (~) at the beginning and end of the text you want to cross out. For example, ~This is a crossed-out text in WhatsApp~.
As you can see, different word editors have different ways of crossing out text. Moreover, apart from the keyboard shortcuts, some of them come with buttons and editor dialogs for those who do not know about the shortcuts.