How to disable keyboard shortcuts on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7
Did you ever tried doing a project for work or play your favorite game on your Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 operating system and you accidentally activated a keyboard shortcut? Well, this can happen to anyone. In this quick tutorial, we will show you what your can do to disable keyboard shortcuts on Windows 10, 8, 7 and use your machine without any issues.
Using the keyboard shortcuts can be a very useful thing while operating in your Windows 10,8, 7 device because you can get where you want much quicker or activate a feature of your liking faster than having to do it manually with your mouse cursor. Nevertheless, a few Windows 10, 8, 7 users had some issues regarding the activation of the keyboard shortcut and I have decided to show you below in a 5 minute tutorial how you can disable the keyboard shortcuts on Windows 8.
Turn off keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10, 8, 7
- Use a script to tweak your Registry
- Turn off hotkeys
- Disable all Windows shortcut keys using the Registry Editor
1. Use a script to tweak your Registry
This method will show you how you can disable the “Windows” combinations keyboard shortcuts in your system. You will need to download the app to disable keyboard shortcuts by left clicking this link:
Then, install the file on your computer and follow the on-screen instructions:
- After you accessed the link above you will be prompt with a message. You will need to left click on “Save File” and download the app to your Windows 10, 8 desktop.
- Double left click on the icon you have on your desktop with the extension “.reg” in order to open it.
- You will be prompt again with a message and you will have to left click or tap on the “Run” button.
- Left click on “Yes” if a window pops up that’s telling you to grant access for installation.
- After the installation is finished you will have to delete the downloaded “.reg” file you had on your desktop.
- Reboot the Windows 10, 8, 7 operating system device to apply the changes.
- After the Windows Windows 10, 8 device is back up and running you will see that your keyboard shortcuts have been disabled.
2. Turn off hotkeys
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “R” to open the run box.
- Type in the run box “Gpedit.msc”.
- Hit “Enter” on the keyboard.
- You will get a message from User Account Controls and you will have to left click on “Yes”.
- You will have to left click in the left panel on “User Configuration”.
- Under the “User Configuration” file left click on “Administrative templates”.
- Under “Administrative templates” left click on “Windows Components”.
- Under “Windows Components “ left click on “File Explorer”.
- Now after you got to “File Explorer” you should have in the right panel a feature that says “Turn Off Windows + X hotkeys”.
- Double left click or tap the “Turn off Windows + X hotkeys”.
- A window should pop up after you selected the option above and you will have the option to disable the feature.
- Left click on the “Apply” button you have in the lower side of that window.
- Left click on the “OK” button you have in the lower side of the window.
- You will have to close the Group policy editor window and reboot the Windows 10, 8 device.
- After the reboot check if you have the same keyboard shortcuts disabled.
Note: If you want to get your keyboard shortcuts back up and running, you need to simply choose “Enable” or “Not Configured”.
— RELATED: The best shortcut software for Windows 10
3. Disable all Windows shortcut keys using the Registry Editor
If you feel comfortable manually tweaking your Registry, here’s how you can turn off all Windows shortcut keys:
- Press the Windows + R keys to launch Run
- Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor
- Locate this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer
- In right-side pane, right-click and create a new DWORD NoWinKeys > set its value to 1.
- Close the Registry Editor > reboot your computer. All WIN+ hotkeys should now be turned off.
Note: You can re-enable WIN+ hotkeys by simply deleting the DWORD NoWinKeys.
So, these are three quick and simple ways that you can use to disable your keyboard shortcuts on Windows 10, 8. If you need more information on the subject, let us know in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Shortcut Scanner for Windows traces hidden shortcuts in your PC
- How to Create New Folders Using Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10
- Create shortcuts in My Computer & Control Panel with this tool
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
XAML or Extensible Application Markup Language, is a language based on XML(Extensive Markup Language). Its use ranges from creating to initializing .NET objects. It’s primarily […]
Microsoft has announced a brand new Windows Update related Group Policy option for the upcoming Windows 10 v1903. The upcoming OS version will let users […]
Project xCloud is Microsoft’s new game-streaming service that the company is currently trialing. Microsoft showed off a streamed xCloud game on Xbox Insider. Now the […]