Windows 10 is a great operating system, but some users reported that their keyboard types numbers instead of letters. This is a peculiar and annoying problem, but in today’s article, we’ll show you a couple of solutions that might help you fix this problem.
I have a HP Pavilion DV9000 entertainment PC.
When the num lock button is on certain keys on my keyboard types numbers instead of letters.
I have tried pressing the FN+num lock and FN+Shift+num lock and the problem still persists.
The letters that are typeing numbers with num lock on are U, I, O, P, J, K, L, and M.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
1. Update Windows
- Firstly, open your Start Menu and select Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button.
2. Uninstall keyboard drivers
- From your Start Menu, select Device Manager.
- Now select Keyboard, right-click the keyboard driver and choose Uninstall.
- Now you can restart your machine.
3. Update drivers
- Open Device Manager.
- Now expand the category with the hardware you want to update.
- Right-click the device, and select Update Driver.
- Click the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
Alternatively, you can use third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater to automatically update all outdated drivers with just a couple of clicks.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool might not be free
4. Scan your machine for malware
- Start your antivirus tool. If you don’t have a third-party antivirus, you can use Windows Defender.
- Perform a Quick Scan and remove any malware. Alternatively, you can try performing Full Scan as well.
In case you don’t have a reliable antivirus, we strongly recommend to check out Bitdefender, because it provides both great speed and protection from all types of malware.
5. Run Windows Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Select Hardware and Devices from the list and click Run the troubleshooter. You can also run the Keyboard troubleshoot as well.
We hope that these solutions were helpful and that you managed to fix your keyboard problems. Feel free to let us know in the comments section which solution worked for you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: