- You'll experience issues registering your Kindle device if your operating system is outdated.
- Since you can't update or register your device, you can fix the issue by updating your Kindle manually.
- For similar guides, have a look through our thorough Software section.
- If you run into other issues, don't hesitate to explore our extensive Fix Hub.
You can get a message saying there was an error while registering your Kindle even if your login credentials are correct. It happens a lot, especially on devices that you’ve not used for a while.
At first, when you put on the Kindle device, it asks you to re-register it. When you attempt the registration, it tells you that it’s unable to register your Kindle.
A quick Google search on the Kindle registration error shows up some solutions, of which many recommend deregistering the device from your Amazon account. However, deregistering didn’t work for me when I got this problem.
Logging in with a different account doesn’t also fix the issue. To fully understand this problem and prevent it from happening again, you need to first know what causes it.
Why can’t I connect my Kindle to my Amazon account?
When Kindle devices run on outdated software editions, Amazon disconnects it from the network. Meaning you can’t log in on the device or use Amazon services.
To register your Kindle device and make use of it, you need to update it.
Now, this is a dicey situation because, on the one hand, your device is cut off because of outdated software. And on the other hand, you cannot update the software because the Kindle is cut off.
Continue reading to learn what to do if you can’t register your device due to the Kindle registration error.
What to do if I cannot register my Kindle with Amazon account?
1. Update the Kindle device manually
- Visit the Kindle E-Reader Software Updates page.
- Locate your device type from the list and click on the Download Software Update link beside it.
- Wait for the download to finish.
- Connect your device to the computer with a reliable USB cable, and transfer the downloaded update to the root directory of the Kindle device.
- Disconnect the Kindle from your computer.
- Tap on the Menu icon and select Settings.
- Click Menu again, and this time, go to Update Your Kindle.
- Click the OK button to trigger the updating process. You will now see a message that says Your Kindle is Updating.
The updating process takes less than five minutes. On completion, the device will restart.
If the update goes as planned, then you can log in and register your Kindle device with your Amazon account with no there was an error while registering your Kindle message.
2. Confirm your Amazon account information
Generally, updating your device OS should fix the Kindle registration error. So, if you followed the previous solution and still don’t get rid of the there was an error while registering your kindle message, you are probably using incorrect account credentials.
Confirm that the email and password with which you are attempting to log in are correct. You will be unable to register Kindle if they’re not correct.
3. Deregister your Kindle
Deregistering is an option that appears in your settings page after you register a Kindle with an account from Amazon.com. When your Amazon account is registered on the Kindle, deregistering the account removes its access to Amazon content, such as ebooks.
The account will also not be capable of making purchases. But this is no issue because most users deregister because they no longer want to use it to make get apps or in-app purchases.
Does deregistering a Kindle remove content?
Yes, deregistering the Kindle will wipe the device and remove all content saved or downloaded on it. To deregister your Kindle device, follow the steps below:
- Visit Amazon.com and navigate to Manage Your Content and Devices.
- Log in using your Amazon email and password.
- Click on the Devices button.
- Hit Deregister.
Can you have multiple accounts on a Kindle?
You can have as many accounts as possible on a Kindle. However, there are things you must know. Though Kindle lets you use multiple accounts, you can only register one account at a time.
To use a different account on the Kindle, you must deregister the account and register the one you wish to use.
We hope that you found this guide useful and that the information contained in it managed to resolve the Error while registering your Kindle issue quickly.
Feel free to share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the section found below this article.