Fix: LockAppHost.exe Uses a Lot of Memory in Windows 10
Various things could cause a high memory usage not just in Windows 10, but also in all previous versions of Windows. This time, a couple of Windows 10 users complained online about how they found out that the LockAppHost.exe process is causing a high CPU usage without any particular reason.
So in this article, we’ll try to solve this issue, as we prepared a few possible solutions for memory leak in Windows 10, caused by LockAppHost.exe.
How to Prevent LockAppHost from Using a Lot of Memory
- Restart LockAppHost service
- Run SFC Scanner
- Check for viruses
- Lock and unlock your computer
- Disable Windows 10’s lock screen
Solution 1 – Restart LockAppHost service
Simple restarting LockAppHost process could potentially solve the problem, so that’s what we’re going to try first. To restart LockAppHost process, do the following:
- Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services
- Find LockAppHost service, right-click on it and go to Properties
- Click on Stop, and then click on Start again
- Restart your computer, and see if LockAppHost is still ‘eating’ your memory
If restarting the process didn’t get the job done, we have a few more old school solutions for you.
Solution 2 – Run SFC Scanner
SFC Scanner is old Windows’ own tool for diagnosing and solving various system-related problems. So we’ll try to use SFC scanner to solve our problem, as well. To run SFC Scanner in Windows 10, do the following:
- Right-click on the Start Menu, and go to Command Prompt (Admin)
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait for the process to finish (it might take a while)
- Restart your computer, and see if the problem is resolved
Solution 3 – Check for viruses
Some IT experts often connect high CPU usage caused by LockAppHost with a virus, or some kind of other malicious software. So, it won’t hurt if you run your antivirus program and completely scan your system for any suspicious activities. If you don’t use an antivirus program on your computer, scanning your system with Windows Defender can also get the job done, but if you want deep, more detailed scan, some third party software is probably the best option.
If you still didn’t decide which antivirus program you want to use, check out the list of the best antivirus programs for Windows 10, it will certainly help you to make the right decision.
Solution 4 – Lock and unlock your computer
If LockAppHost.exe is draining your computer memory, try locking your device and then log back in. Many users confirmed that this basic workaround helped them solve the problem.
I have the same problem, and the last time I investigated it seemed to have something to do with the lock screen modal. I locked my machine (Win + L) and re-logged in, and it went away
Solution 5 – Disable Windows 10’s lock screen
This solution requires a bit of patience, but some users confirmed it works, so it’s worth trying it. By disabling Windows 10’s lock screen you can resume your Windows session much faster and jump straight to the log in screen.
Here are the steps to disable the LockApp folder:
- Launch File Explorer > navigate to go to C:Windows > SystemApps > Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy
- Right-click on the folder > select Rename.
- Add .bak to the end of it the folder name > hit Enter.
Keep in mind that this solution doesn’t permanently remove the lock screen. When you reboot your PC, the lock screen will be there, but it won’t appear when you wake it up from sleep.
That’s about it, I hope at least some of these solutions helped you to reduce the high CPU usage on your Windows 10, if you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comments, below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 will let you reset passwords from the lock screen
- Seeing Ads on Windows 10 Lock Screen? This is how to Stop Them
- How to enable Cortana on Windows 10 Lock Screen in
Many Aventail VPN users have encountered the error message Aventail VPN is not connecting. This problem seems to occur no matter how the VPN service […]
Have you ever received Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties message from Windows when you were trying to move […]
The error You do not have the necessary privilege to create new virtual machines appears in the cases in which the user doesn’t have enough […]