Media keys not working on Windows 10 [SIMPLEST SOLUTIONS]
Windows 10 is an amazing operating system with many features and great versatility. No matter what peripherals are you trying to connect to it, even if the compatibility is not 100% there, you’ll eventually succeed.
Despite that, it seems like a lot of users are reporting problems with their keyboards, more precisely that their media keys are not working. That’s kind of a big issue for users, especially for a media-hungry users.
Why are my media keys not working? The most probable cause is that you haven’t set the default app properly. In most cases, the default music app in Windows 10 is Groove Music. After setting a certain app as default, change the Google Play Music extension in Chrome and check your external keyboard.
What can I do if my Media keys don’t work on PC?
Solution 1 – Set the correct default program
Some users have reported that their media keys were not working on Windows 10 because the app that they were trying to control wasn’t the default app. After they changed it, everything worked fine.
To set the default app, do the following:
- Go to Start > Settings.
- In Settings, click on Apps and then on Default apps.
- Under Music Player, click on the default app (usually Groove Music).
- The Choose an app window will pop-up. Select the desired media player by clicking on it.
That’s it. A fairly simple solution that will block Groove Music or Windows Media Player from overtaking your media keys.
- READ ALSO: SOLVED: Can’t change Windows 10 default apps
Solution 2 – Check the External keyboard
If you are using an external keyboard, then try some simple checks and fixes like changing the USB connection port, connecting the keyboard to another computer to see if there it works, and disabling or uninstalling any keyboard software.
If the keyboard is working on another PC, then the problem is with the connection between it and your Windows 10 computer. Changing the USB port may solve the problem.
If that doesn’t solve it, disable or uninstall any keyboard software like IntelliPoint or Logitech because these apps can modify and affect your media keys by remapping them to do nothing or to do other actions.
Solution 3 – Change the Google Chrome extensions
The majority of users that got rid of the problem reported that the cause was a Chrome extension like Google Play Music or Plex. To modify how a extension uses your keyboard, follow the steps:
- Open Chrome and go to Settings (3 vertical dots in the upper-right).
- Then navigate to More tools > click Extensions.
- Now, in the top-left, right next to Extensions there are 3 horizontal bars. Click on them.
- Click on Keyboard shortcuts.
- Search the Google Play Music, Plex, or any other media extension that it’s of interest to you.
- Under the respective extension, you will see some drop-down menus set to Global. Change them to In Chrome.
This should certainly solve the problem. If you want to go a step further, you can disable the faulty extension altogether:
- Follow the first two steps from above.
- In Extension, locate the extension that’s of interest to you.
- In the extension section there are 3 options: Details, Remove and Enable/Disable.
- Click on the blue toggle in the bottom-right to disable the extension. The toggle should now be white/gray.
- If you are certain that you have no use for the respective extension, you can also click Remove. this will delete it.
Keep in mind that any media extension could affect your keyboard, not only the 2 mentioned above. We recommend that you set all your media controls to In Chrome, even if they aren’t music players.
Hope that these tips and methods will help you, as they were confirmed as working by the majority of users affected.
Don’t forget to tell us if you fixed your media keys in Windows 10 along with any other question you may have in the comments section below.
A large number of users that use Linux and Windows 10 in a dual-boot mode have reported that for some reason, they don’t see the […]
In this age, the hostel management software is more of a necessity than a convenience. These days most of the people (especially the younger generation) […]