- For any internal or external issues, MetaMask may not show the correct balance in its browser extensions.
- Though changing blockchain may help, you still may need to follow some other troubleshooting methods shown in this article.
- If a new user is confused about the MetaMask's safety, the last part of this article will help to get rid of the suspicion.
If you encounter MeteMask not showing a balance error, you can follow the instructions given in this article.
MetaMask is a very popular cryptocurrency wallet to interact with the Ethereum blockchain. It is also used to sign in to many services that use blockchain technology. Particularly, Decentraland, the virtual world game that lets gamers earn cryptos, recommends this wallet primarily.
But, the problem begins when MetaMask doesn’t show or update the balance properly. A significant number of users have already reported this problem in various forums. We are lucky that there are ways to fix this problem.
But, before knowing about the troubleshooting methods, we should have a good idea about this unexpected problem.
Why may MetaMask not updating balance issue occur?
Some specific reasons cause MetaMask not showing or updating balance issues. Usually, this error can be a result of any problem from your end or the server-side. According to our research, we have found the following as the most significant reasons.
- Browser problem
- MetaMask network problem
- Improper permission
- Problematic extension
- Corrupted browser data
If you can take steps to overcome these situations, you will be able to get rid of this problem. For your convenience, we have prepared the troubleshooting methods with proper instructions, which are given below.
How can I fix MetaMask not showing balance?
1. Restart browser
When you see that MetaMask is showing an incorrect balance or doesn’t show it at all, the first thing you should do is restart the browser. In many cases, it will fix your problem.
However, If the problem happens frequently and you need to restart the browser often, you can follow the next methods.
2. Update browser
1.1 Update Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on three vertical dots on the top right corner and then on Settings.
- Click on About Chrome.
- Chrome will check for update and install automatically.
- Relaunch Chrome.
1.2 Update Firefox
- Click on three vertical lines and go to help.
- Go to About Firefox.
- It will update the browser automatically.
Updating browsers will make sure that the browser is compatible with the extension. As a result, MetaMask not updating the balance problem may get solved.
3. Try a different blockchain network
- Click on the MetaMask icon on the top right corner of the browser.
- Click on the Dropdown icon next to the network name, usually Ethereum Network and then on Add Network.
- Now, provide your preferred trusted network details and save.
If somehow the default network has some issues with MetaMask, using a different network will fix the problem. You will be able to see the balance properly.
4. Give proper privileges to MetaMask extension
- Right-click on the MetaMask icon on your browser.
- Hover your cursor on This can read and change site data and choose On all sites.
If the extension doesn’t have access to all sites, you may often encounter problems related to the MetaMask balance. So, To fix MetaMask not showing balance, you should give it the proper permission as shown above.
5. Update extension
5.1 Update chrome extensions
- Open Google Chrome.
- Type the following address in the address bar and press enter.
- Turn on developer mode and click on Update.
5.2 Update Firefox add-ons
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Type the following address in the address bar and hit enter.
- Click on the gear icon and then select Check for updates.
If the current version of MetaMask is problematic and has known issues with the latest browser you are using, updating it will solve all problems related to it at once.
6. Clear browser cache
- Open your browser.
- Press CTRL + Shift+ Del on your keyboard.
- Choose All time as the time range.
- Check Cache images and files and then click on Clear data.
Browsers often may show you a cached version of data if there is something wrong. Clearing the cache will force it to fetch the latest updates of data, particularly the MetaMask balance.
7. Try a different browser
If the MetaMask extension in your primary browser is not working expectedly and not updating the balance, you should try a different browser. Then see if it solves the problem or not. Our recommendation is to try Opera which is highly customizable and compatible with Metamask.
If you use MetaMask for the Decentraland, have a look at these best browsers for Decentraland.
Is MetaMask safe?
MetaMask is open-source crypto-wallet software available as a browser extension or mobile app. It is the most popular wallet for non-techie crypto users. In short, it is safe.
It uses proper encryption methods to secure your data. Only your password can decrypt the data you have with this crypto wallet. Another thing is it doesn’t control the keys, unlike other similar wallets. It stores them locally. So, You have full control over the keys.
In past years, we have not found any hacking incidents on MetaMask. It also has a huge community and a group of highly qualified developers. MetaMask is going through continuous updates with bug and security fixes that have made it a very secure wallet.
The methods shown above are very effective in resolving MetaMask not showing balance problems. You may know about any other methods that may help others. In this case, you can let us know in the comment box.