6 Ways to Fix Metamask When It’s Not Showing the Balance
Problematic extensions or corrupted browser data may cause this
- For any internal or external issues, MetaMask may not show the correct balance in its browser extensions.
- Though changing blockchain may help, you still may need to follow some other troubleshooting methods shown in this article.
- If a new user is confused about the MetaMask's safety, the last part of this article will help to get rid of the suspicion.
If you encounter MeteMask not showing a balance error, you can follow the instructions given in this article.
MetaMask is a trendy cryptocurrency wallet to interact with the Ethereum blockchain. It is also used to sign in to many blockchain services. Decentraland, the virtual world game that lets gamers earn cryptos, recommends this wallet primarily.
If you use MetaMask for the Decentraland, look at these best browsers for Decentraland.
But, the problem begins when MetaMask doesn’t show or update the balance properly. A significant number of users have already reported this problem in various forums. So we are lucky that there are ways to fix this problem.
But, before knowing about the troubleshooting methods, we should have a good idea about this unexpected problem.
If the MetaMask extension in your primary browser is not working expectedly and not updating the balance, you should try a different browser. Then see if it solves the problem or not.
We recommend trying Opera, which is highly customizable and compatible with Metamask. With Opera, you have slimmer chances of MetaMask showing the wrong balance or showing 0 balance.
OperaThe add-on support in Opera is reliable, and MetaMask passed our tests successfully.
Why is MetaMask not showing balance?
Some specific reasons cause MetaMask not to show or updating balance issues. Usually, this error can result from any problem from your end or the server-side. However, according to our research, we have found the following as the most significant reasons.
- Browser problem
- MetaMask network problem
- Improper permission
- Problematic extension
- Corrupted browser data
If you can take steps to overcome these situations, you will be able to get rid of this problem. For your convenience, we have prepared the troubleshooting methods with proper instructions below.
How long does it take for funds to show on MetaMask?
Blockchain transactions typically take a few minutes, unlike conventional banking, where money transfers might take as much as 3 or 5 working days.
However, transactions might take a long time, depending on network use and your gas preferences. Therefore, we recommend checking transactions on the blockchain explorer to see whether it has made it there.
Users have experienced this problem on different coins and tokens. Some of the most common iterations of the issue are:
- MetaMask not showing balance BSC
- MetaMask not showing balance BNB
- ETH balance not showing in MetaMask
- MetaMask not showing FIAT balance
- MetaMask not showing USDT balance
- The MetaMask not showing MATIC balance
- MetaMask app not showing balance
- MetaMask not showing token balance
How can I fix MetaMask if it’s not showing the balance?
1. Restart the browser
When you see that MetaMask is showing an incorrect balance or doesn’t show it at all, the first thing you should do is restart the browser. In many cases, it will fix your problem.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
However, If the problem happens frequently and you need to restart the browser often, you can follow the next methods.
2. Update browser
2.1 Update Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on three vertical dots on the top right corner and Settings.
- Click on Advanced, then select About Chrome.
- Chrome will check for updates and install automatically.
- Relaunch Chrome.
2.2 Update Firefox
- Click on three vertical lines and go to Help.
- Select About Firefox.
- It will update the browser automatically.
Updating browsers will make sure that the browser is compatible with the extension. As a result, MetaMask not updating the balance problem may get solved.
3. Try a different blockchain network
- Click on the MetaMask icon on the top right corner of the browser.
- Click on the Dropdown icon next to the network name, usually Ethereum Network, and then on Add Network.
- Now, provide your preferred trusted network details and save.
If somehow the default network has issues with MetaMask, using a different network will fix the problem. As a result, you will be able to see the balance properly.
4. Give proper privileges to the MetaMask extension
- Right-click on the MetaMask icon on your browser.
- Hover your cursor on This can read and change site data and choose On all sites.
- Try checking the balance again.
If the extension doesn’t have access to all sites, you may often encounter problems related to the MetaMask balance. So, To fix MetaMask not showing balance, you should give it the proper permission as shown above.
5. Update extension
5.1 Update chrome extensions
- Open Google Chrome.
- Type the address below in the Address bar and press Enter.
- Turn on developer mode and click on Update.
- Try rechecking the Metamask balance.
5.2 Update Firefox add-ons
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Type the address below in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Click on the gear icon and then select Check for updates.
If the current version of MetaMask is problematic and has known issues with the latest browser you are using, updating it will solve all its problems at once.
6. Clear browser cache
- Open your browser.
- Press CTRL + Shift+ Del on your keyboard.
- Choose All time as the time range.
- Check Cache images and files and then click on Clear data.
Browsers often may show you a cached data version if something is wrong, and clearing the cache will force it to fetch the latest updates of data, particularly the MetaMask balance. After clearing the cache, Refresh the MetaMask balance.
MetaMask balance may be outdated
It is not uncommon for MetaMask to display an outdated balance notification.
When this happens, it most likely means that the extension can not fetch your actual balance for some reason. If this is the case, you should double-check that your internet connection works properly or restart the browser.
Can MetaMask wallet be hacked?
With crypto and many other online services, your safety depends on the tech and user habits. With the use of seed phrases, and other password encryption tech, it is tough to have your wallet compromised.
However, if you are careless with these details or store them online, the chances of having a hacked MetaMask become larger.
Is MetaMask safe?
MetaMask is open-source crypto-wallet software available as a browser extension or mobile app and is the most popular wallet for non-techie crypto users. In short, it is safe.
It uses proper encryption methods to secure your data. Only your password can decrypt the data you have with this crypto wallet. Another thing is it doesn’t control the keys, unlike other similar wallets. It stores them locally. So, You have complete control over the keys.
In past years, we have not found any hacking incidents on MetaMask. It also has a huge community and a group of highly qualified developers. MetaMask is going through continuous updates with bug and security fixes, making it a very secure wallet.
The methods shown above effectively resolve MetaMask not updating or showing balance problems. You may know about any other techniques that may help others. In this case, you can let us know in the comments box.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.