- Your Microsoft account is still an account, and it too can be hacked if mishandled.
- This article will showcase how you can check if your Microsoft account has been hacked.
- You will also learn what can be done in case your Microsoft account has been hacked.
- Lastly, we will teach what to do to prevent any future hacking from happening.
Have you noticed that your Microsoft account has been hacked?
If you know for sure that someone else used your personal account, or if you notice that emails or personal data have been removed from your account, then you need to take some action immediately in order to restore your files and to protect your account and your personal info.
So, in order to help you out, during the following guidelines, I will try to show you what to do when you notice that your Microsoft accounts have been hacked.
Your account might suffer unauthorized access in various situations, especially if you use the same passwords on multiple accounts, or if you use public networks, public WiFi connections or if you navigate on unverified websites.
Also, if a public domain has been hacked, when accessing the same, your Microsoft account might also be used by someone else.
Furthermore, you might have problems with your account if you don’t use an antivirus or antimalware program on your Windows 10 PC, so remember to stay updated to the latest security software out there – you can use free or paid programs, it doesn’t matter.
Before learning what to do when your Microsoft account has been hacked, be it on Windows 10 or another Windows 10 version, you first have to check if someone else tried to use your info or not.
Therefore, take a look below and use all the guidelines that are being described there – do read all the following lines if you want to keep your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 device secured.
How can I check if my Microsoft account has been hacked?
- First of all, just try to log into your personal Microsoft account – if you can’t do that, skip this section and head towards the following one.
- From your account select the Recent Activity option.
- Now, in the window that will be opened, you will be able to see your recent activity.
- If someone tried to access your account you will be prompted and the following message will be displayed Was this you? If not let us know.
- If you notice that there are multiple unauthorized actions, try to secure your account by setting a stronger password and by applying additional security measures, and of course by checking the steps from below.
What to do if my Microsoft account has been hacked
Before doing anything else scan your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 computer with an antivirus and antimalware program in order to remove (if there are any) Trojan or keylogger viruses. Then try to cover all the sections from below.
1. Change or set up another password
If you can still use your Microsoft account, don’t hesitate and set up a new password. In order to do so just sign in to your account and go to the Change password menu.
Then fill the empty boxes from the menu and change your old password with a better one. It is also recommended to use a password checker in order to test the strength of your new password.
2. Reset your old password
If your Microsoft account has been hacked most likely you will no longer be able to connect to the same. In that matter, you will have to reset your password.
So, from the troubleshooting process provided by Microsoft just select I think someone else is using my Microsoft Account and then follow the on-screen prompts in order to reset your password and in order to set up a new pass for your personal account.
3. Recover your Microsoft Account
If you can’t reset your pass then you need to somehow recover your Microsoft Account. Luckily for you, Microsoft is providing a service that lets you recover your personal account without using a password.
In that matter go to this page and fill up the questionnaire and answer the questions from there. It’s easy so don’t worry as you just have to follow the on-screen prompts and your Microsoft account will be recovered.
4. Remember to re-secure your Microsoft Account
After restoring your Microsoft account, the best will be to add some extra security features in order to protect your personal info and data. In order to do so, use Microsoft’s own settings that are being displayed on your own account – you must be signed in.
So head towards Account Summary and change the info you might think that it was hacked.
Also, go to Security info and add as many details as you can in order to protect your account and for helping Microsoft to protect you and your personal data against malware attack.
If you are an entry level Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 user then you might experience some problems while using your Microsoft account.
So, since you are not setting a strong password and since you are not using complex security programs and settings, your account might be hacked.
Well, if that happens, don’t panic and just use the guidelines from above in order to recover your account and your personal data and info.
Do use the comments field from below if you have questions or if you need extra details on this subject.