Internet is a great source of information, but at the same time it can be quite harmful. There are many many potential threats online, and if you want to protect members of your household online, you might want to learn more about Microsoft Family Safety on Windows 10.
What is Microsoft Family Safety and how does it work?
Microsoft had family safety tools for a while now, and the first version of this tool was released in 2006 as a closed beta. The first name for this software was Windows Live OneCare Family, but it was rebranded as Windows Live Family Safety in 2009. In 2010, Windows Live Family Safety 2011 was added to Windows Live Essentials 2011.
In 2012 Microsoft changed the name of this tool to Microsoft Family Safety, and it added Family Safety as a core component to Windows 8. In 2015 Microsoft changed the name of the tool once again, naming it Microsoft Family Features. Just like in Windows 8, Microsoft kept Family Features as core component of Windows 10.
As you can see, Microsoft Family Safety tool is officially integrated in Windows 10, and you can use it easily to protect members of your household from harmful websites.
To use Family Safety on Windows 10, you need to do the following:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Accounts > Family & other users. Click Add a family member.
- Select Add a child option and enter that user’s email address. To use Family Safety on Windows 10, both you and your family members have to have Microsoft accounts. Once you enter the email address, click the Next button.
- Click the Confirm button.
- In order to enable Family Safety, the new user needs to accept your request for it. To do that, that user needs to check its email and accept your invitation by opening the invitation email and clicking Accept Invitation.
- New browser tab will now open and explain you what does Family Safety do for you. Click Sign in and join.
- After doing that you’ll get a notification that a new person joined your family.
After the new family member was added, you can change its settings by doing the following:
New browser window will now open and you’ll be able to change various settings related to family accounts.
First option is Recent Activity, and by using this option you can view the browsing activity for a child account. In fact, you can even get weekly emails with a detailed report regarding your child’s internet activity. Bear in mind that this feature only works in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, since third-party web browsers aren’t supported.
Next feature is Web browsing and you can use this feature to block inappropriate content from search results. In addition, you can also block specific websites, or you can allow only certain websites to be accessed.
Apps, games & media feature will block mature movies and games so that your child cannot download them from Windows Store. If you want, you can even set age restrictions for content that your child can download from Windows Store.
Next option is Screen Time and using this option you can set limits for computer usage. For example, you can set specific time frames for days of the week, and you even set limits for daily computer usage.
Purchase & spending option allows you to add certain amount of money to child’s account thus allowing him to buy products from Windows and Xbox Store. In fact, you can even see all purchases in the last 90 days, so you can always keep track on your child’s spending. If you want to keep an even closer eye, there’s an option that will notify you every time your child gets an app or a game. You can also allow your child to get only free apps and games, or block downloading applications and games completely.
Last option is Find your child, and using this option you can easily see your child’s whereabouts on a map. To use this feature, your child needs to have a Windows 10 Mobile device and it should be signed on to it with his Microsoft account.
Microsoft Family safety might not be available for download, but since most of its features are already built-in to Windows 10, you can quickly and easily protect your child online.
- Download and install SyncToy on Windows 10
- Download and install Microsoft Money on Windows 10
- Fix: Start Menu Doesn’t Work for Child Account
- How to block websites on Microsoft Edge
- Best Windows 10 Privacy Protection Software to use