- Be sure to check out details about all the Microsoft network monitor replacements available on the market and choose the best one for your needs.
- With Microsoft pulling the plug on its Network Monitor tool, most network administrators are looking for good replacement software.
- Choosing an excellent all-in-one network monitoring tool with good packet capturing options is essential, and our top pick covers this entirely.
- Other software alternatives are also capable programs but only offer essential tools for security engineers and network managers.
Microsoft Network Monitor was a popular packet analyzer tool that enabled capturing, viewing, and analyzing network data and decoding network protocols.
However, Microsoft has archived the tool now, and the existing users are looking for the best Microsoft Network Monitor alternative.
Fortunately, there are a few good Microsoft Network Monitor alternatives available for IT professionals and system admins. These third-party packet analyzers offer similar if not better monitoring and network analysis features.
In this article, we have handpicked the best Microsoft Network Monitor replacement and alternatives and tested them to help you find the best packet analyzer tool depending on their implementation, usability, and reliability.
What are the best Microsoft Network Monitor alternatives?
PRTG Network Monitor is the ultimate all-in-one network monitoring solution for capturing packets. It can monitor all the major protocols, including IP, UDP, TCP traffic. It can also monitor data traffic and data packets with the help packet sniffer.
PRTG Network Monitor uses different packet sensors such as Packet Sniffer, NetFlow, and sFlow to monitor web traffic, Cisco router, and switches while putting less strain on your network. The jFlow sensor is often used for Juniper Network devices.
Additionally, PRTG Network Monitor also offers features such as custom sensors that allow you to choose the types of data you wish to capture, a clean user interface and dashboard, and a top list for each sensor’s overview.
Key features of PRTG Network Monitor:
- Monitor data traffic and analyze data packets
- Monitors IP, UDP, and TCP traffic
- Supports several sensors and custom sensors
- Clean user interface and dashboard
PRTG Network MonitorThis powerful software offers you even more network monitoring capabilities than Microsoft alternatives, with great customization options.
NetFlow Analyzer by ManageEngine is a flow-based network traffic monitoring tool for in-depth traffic analysis. It leverages flow technologies to provide real-time visibility into the network’s bandwidth performance.
Using the continuous stream mining engine technology, you can detect a broad spectrum of external and internal security threats. NetFlow Analyzer can also help you with tracking network anomalies and zero-day intrusions.
Other notable features by NetFlow Analyzer include app-centric monitoring to share app traffic, capacity planning and billing, the ability to monitor voice and video data effectively, and support for flow technologies.
Key features of NetFlow Analyzer:
- Bandwidth monitoring and traffic analysis
- Network forensics and security analysis
- Capacity planning and billing
- Effective voice and video data monitoring
With its rapid-fire analytics and insights, Omnipeek Network Protocol Analyzer allows you to quickly make better decisions about your network health, including security and performance.
While decoding over 1000 protocols, Omnipeek Network Protocol Analyzer can provide real-time analysis for various types of network segments from 1 to 100 gigabit, 802.11 WiFi, and voice and video over Internet Protocol.
All the data captured by the analyzer is presented in an intuitive graphic display and visualization, allowing for faster resolution of network and network and application performance.
Key features of Omnipeek Network Protocol Analyzer:
- Can decode over 1000 protocols
- Support various types of network
- Great graphics display and data visualization
- Good network analysis workflow
NetworkMiner is an open-source Network Forensic Analysis Tool for Windows and works on Linux and macOS platforms.
It can be used as a passive network snipper or packet capturing tool to detect sessions, hostnames, IOS, and open ports while putting less strain on your network.
NetworkMiner makes it easy to perform advanced NTA (Network Traffic Analysis) using extracted artifacts. The data presentation makes it easy to analyze and regenerate transmitted files and certificates from PCAP files.
Key features of NetworkMiner:
- Live sniffing
- Parse PCAP and PcapNG giles
- Support multiple protocols
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux
Wireshark is a network packet analyzer and presents captured packed data in detail on the dashboard.
It can be used to troubleshoot network problems, examine security problems, verify network application and debug protocol implementation.
Wireshark is available on both Unix and Windows systems. It can capture live packet data from a network interface, and open files containing packet data capture with tcpdump/WinDump, Wireshark, and other packet capture programs.
Besides this, you can also import packets from text files containing hex dumps of packet data.
Due to its deep packet inspection and ability to monitor live captures and offline data, Wireshark is one of the most widely used packet analyzers on the market.
Key features of Wireshark:
- Compatible with Windows and UNIX platform
- Capture live packet data from a network interface
- Open packet data captured files from tcpdump/WinDump and Wireshark
- Save capture packet data
- Colorize packet display with filters
The Packet Analyzers are an essential tool used by the network administrator and security engineers to troubleshoot network problems, learn network protocol internals and debug protocol implementations.
All the tools listed in this article can be used as Microsoft Network Monitor alternatives for Windows users.