- Microsoft Teams chat is a handy tool you can use to communicate with your colleagues
- But Microsoft Teams can confuse users especially if it doesn't mark chats as read. In this guide, we'll show how exactly you can fix this issue
- This article is part of our Microsoft Teams troubleshooting hub. Head over to this section of the website to read more about MS Teams.
- Visit our Microsoft Teams Hub for additional guides, as well as tips and tricks on how to become a Teams power user
As we all know, chats in Microsoft Teams are a crucial feature because it allows users to communicate quickly and efficiently. However, many people encountered an annoying chat issue.
Microsoft Teams won’t mark a chat as read. Therefore, the chat icon will appear as if you have an unread message, even if this is not the case.
One user reported the following on the official Microsoft forum:
The Chat group is showing a red circle with a 1 in it? I am assuming there’s an unread chat somewhere. I can’t find it and I don’t care. I want the circle to be gone. How do I do this?
So, the red circle remains, but there’s no unread chat anywhere. Today we will show you how you can fix this issue.
Chats won’t mark as read in Microsoft Teams? Fix this in no time
1. Turn off all notifications
- Go to Settings.
- Turn off all notifications.
- Enable them after a few minutes.
2. Check if the chat session is hidden
Microsoft Teams hides chats over time if they are not used. Therefore, check out if you have hidden messages. Eventually, you can mute the conversation.
3. Log out and log back in
Log out of Microsoft Teams and log back in. This is a better solution than to close the program and/or restart the computer.
4. Solve the issue with Alt+Tab
- While you’re in the program, press Alt+Tab.
- Close the badge by selecting the X in the corner of the window that pops up.
While this is not a serious issue, it is still annoying for many users to see that notification every time they open Microsoft Teams. Luckily, the problem can be solved in no time with our quick solutions.
All in all, the chat in Teams is great. However, Microsoft should improve the feature.
Moreover, you can’t delete conversations. So, if a notification like this still appears and you know the conversation that is causing it, you can’t delete it to solve the issue permanently.
Did you find our solutions helpful? How often do you use the chat feature in Microsoft Teams? Do let us know in the comments section below!
FAQ: Learn more about Microsoft Teams
- How do I get rid of Microsoft Team chats?
If you want to delete chat messages, all you need to do is press and hold the respective messages so that the delete option appear on the screen. Select Delete and the message will be immediately deleted.
- How can I see all chat messages in Microsoft Teams?
Microsoft Teams saves all the chat messages starting from the very first message sent but it displays only the messages sent during the last two months. To access your Teams chat history, create a new chat, add the participant(s) in the initial chat session to the group and Teams will bring back the conversation.
- What is the maximum number of participants in a Teams private chat?
Microsoft Teams can host private chats of up to 100 members. This limitation is due to the fact that Teams chats rely on Microsoft Exchange backend where the messaging limit is of 100 persons.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since updated for freshness and accuracy.