- Minecraft Forge not installing on Windows 10 can be due to outdated or corrupted Java software or Windows firewall blocks.
- Some users might be able to fix Minecraft Forge not installing by reinstalling the required software.
- Changing firewall settings might help when Minecraft Forge won't install.
- Built-in Windows 10 recovery tools might also come in handy when the Minecraft Forge installer is not working.
The Minecraft Forge modding API and loader provides players with new ways to play Minecraft. However, some players have reported in forums that the Minecraft Forge installer is not opening on their system.
Some of those cite a Forge install error message that states, These libraries failed to download. And being unable to install Java Minecraft Forge affects the whole experience.
So, let’s find out why Forge is not installing on your PC and the solutions that worked for most users.
Why cant I install Forge?
Note that Forge only works for the Java version of Minecraft. So, the Forge installer would not be working for the Minecraft MS Store app.
Also, if you are using an outdated version of Java, the Forge installer won’t open. Even using a version released very recently can also lead to issues owing to the presence of bugs in it.
The best way is to uninstall Java, and then use the version recommended by Forge when downloading it.
Also, the antivirus or firewall on your computer may be behind Minecraft Forge not installing. Disabling them should do the trick.
Lastly, if the Forge installer opens and then closes, check whether you have provided administrative privileges, i.e., are running it as an administrator.
How do I install Forge 2022?
- Head to the download page then hit the Installer button.
- Next, press the Skip button in the top right corner then wait for the file to download.
- Simply opening the installer that you downloaded will start the process of installing the software. Make sure that the Install Client option is still selected.
- Launch Minecraft and make sure the profile is set to forge when it asks you. When the game loads, you will see that there is a new Mods option available at the beginning of the experience.
- You will now have access to the Mods folder, and you can use Minecraft Forge to add all of your preferred mods to the game.
How do I fix Forge installer error?
- Why cant I install Forge?
- How do I install Forge 2022?
- How do I fix Forge installer error?
- 1. Update Minecraft Java to the latest version
- 2. Restart your internet router
- 3. Reinstall Java
- 4. Uninstall Minecraft completely
- 5. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- 6. Install Minecraft Forge via PowerShell
- 7. Reset Windows
- How do I install mods without Forge?
1. Update Minecraft Java to the latest version
- Open your Minecraft Launcher app.
- Click the drop-down menu to the left of the Play button.
- Then select Latest release on the menu to update the game.
- When you’re sure your Minecraft game is the latest version, download the latest Forge version from the official website.
The Forge version you download and try to install must match your current Minecraft Java game version. To verify, check Minecraft’s version at the bottom-left corner of its menu screen.
2. Restart your internet router
To restart (not reset) your router, simply unplug the cable from the back of it. Wait for about 10-20 seconds, and then plug the router back in.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Wait for about five minutes for all the router’s lights to come back on. Then try installing Minecraft Forge again.
3. Reinstall Java
If the Minecraft Forge installer is not opening in Windows 11, an effective solution would be to reinstall Java. Oftentimes, corruption or problems with the app can lead to issues, and reinstalling is the only viable fix.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK.
2. Next, select Java from the list of programs, and click Uninstall.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
4. Restart Windows for the changes to come into effect.
5. Open the Java download page in a browser and click Download Java button.
6. Once done, launch the Java installer package and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
4. Uninstall Minecraft completely
Uninstalling Minecraft and reinstalling the latest game version could do the trick for some players. You can thoroughly uninstall Minecraft with IObit Uninstaller.
That’s a highly-rated third-party uninstaller tool that can eradicate all leftover residual files for Minecraft along with the game.
Whatever software you need to remove, you’ll find CCleaner to be an invaluable tool. With it, you can remove Windows updates, browser toolbars and extensions, and UWP apps.
It is also worth noting that manual removal of Minecraft is rarely 100 percent effective.
As a result, we recommend that you use specialized remover software, such as the CCleaner uninstaller and cleaning program.
CCleaner is a valuable software for cleaning the system of temporary and unwanted files as well as resolving registry issues, making it ideal for completely removing Minecraft for a clean reinstall.
Find Minecraft in the list and click on it once to highlight it. Then, on the right, click the Uninstall option, and the operation will begin; simply wait for it to finish, then restart your PC and reinstall Minecraft if desired.
Therefore, with this reliable uninstaller tool, you will erase even the most stubborn apps or programs out there in just a few clicks.
CCleanerClean your PC of junk files and incompatibilities with a simple scan.
5. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Press Windows + S to open the Search menu, enter Windows Defender Firewall in the text field, and click on the relevant search result.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left.
- Select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall option for both Private network settings and Public network settings, and then click on OK to save the changes.
Once done, try installing Minecraft Forge with the firewall disabled, and verify if the Forge 1.8.9 installer is not working. If that’s the case, head to the next method.
Also, whether the fix works or not, make sure to re-enable Firewall after you are done trying since it’s a critical protection tool, and disabling it is not advisable.
6. Install Minecraft Forge via PowerShell
- Press Windows + E to open the File Explorer, and navigate to the folder that stores the Minecraft Forge installer file.
- Right-click the Minecraft Forge installer file, select Rename, and then enter forge.JAR.
- Hold the Space key, right-click anywhere within the folder that includes the forge.JAR file and select Open PowerShell window here.
- Next, input the PowerShell command and press Enter:
java -Xnx2G -jar forge.jar
That’s it! If Minecraft Forge installer was not opening earlier, it should now. In case the error persits, head to the last method.
7. Reset Windows
Resetting Windows 10 might seem a bit drastic, but some users have confirmed doing so can fix Minecraft Forge installation issues. However, you will need to reinstall the software previously installed on the computer after resetting Windows 10.
Also, if you are running the latest iteration of the OS, here’s how you can reset Windows 11 to its factory settings.
After you are done resettings the OS, the install process should go through, and you would now be able to tell others how to install Minecraft Forge, and help them troubleshoot issues with it.
How do I install mods without Forge?
While you would require Forge to use most mods, there are other applications that too work well. One of the most prominently used ones is Fabric, an effective mod loader.
Many users rely on Fabric instead of Forge for its simple design and high-performance. So, if you can’t find out how to download Forge on Windows 10, Fabric will come to your rescue.
So, these are some of the best ways to fix things when Minecraft Forge installer is not opening in Windows. The methods would work if Forge verion 1.12 is not installing.
Also, find out how to install Minecraft on Windows, and steer clear of errors.
Tell us which fix worked for you in the comments section below.