- Minecraft Forge not installing on Windows 10 can be due to outdated or corrupted Java software or Windows firewall blocks.
- Some users might be able to fix Minecraft Forge not installing by reinstalling the required software.
- Changing firewall settings might help when Minecraft Forge won't install.
- Built-in Windows 10 recovery tools might also come in handy when the Minecraft Forge installer is not working.
The Minecraft Forge modding API and loader provides players with new ways to play Minecraft. However, some players have said in forums that Forge doesn’t install for them.
Some of those cite a Forge install error message that states, These libraries failed to download.
Note that Forge only works for the Java version of Minecraft. So, players can’t install Forge for the Minecraft MS Store app. These are potential resolutions for players who can’t install Forge for Minecraft Java.
What can I do if Minecraft Forge is not installing properly?
1. Update Minecraft Java to the latest version
- Open your Minecraft Launcher app.
- Click the drop-down menu to the left of the Play button.
- Then select Latest release on the menu to update the game.
- When you’re sure your Minecraft game is the latest version, download the latest Forge version from the Forge website.
Note: The Forge version you download and try to install must match your current Minecraft Java game version. Minecraft displays its version number at the bottom left corner of its menu screen.
2. Restart your internet router
To restart (not reset) your router, simply unplug the cable from the back of it. Wait for about 10-20 seconds, and then plug the router back in.
Wait about five minutes for all the router’s lights to come back on. Then try installing Minecraft Forge again.
3. Reinstall Java
- Right-click the Start button and select Run on the Win + X menu that appears.
- To open the Programs and Features applet, type in this Run command and click OK:
- Next, select Java in Programs and Features.
- Select the Uninstall option to remove Java.
- Restart Windows after you’ve uninstalled Java.
- Open the Java download page in a browser.
- Click the Agree and Start Free Download button on that page.
- Open the folder you saved the downloaded Java installer file to.
- Click the Java installer package to reinstall Java.
4. Uninstall Minecraft completely
Uninstalling Minecraft and reinstalling the latest game version could do the trick for some players. You can thoroughly uninstall Minecraft with IObit Uninstaller.
That’s a highly-rated third-party uninstaller tool that can eradicate all leftover residual files for Minecraft along with the game.
Whatever software you need to remove, you’ll find IObit Uninstaller to be an invaluable tool. With it, you can remove Windows updates, browser toolbars and extensions, and UWP apps.
You can also uninstall software with its Easy Uninstall and Force Uninstall tools if required.
Other useful IObit Uninstaller features
- Users can erase files with IObit Uninstaller’s File Shredder
- IObit Uninstaller’s Software Updater tab enables users to update software
- It incorporates an Install Monitor that helps users monitor software installation
- This software includes two alternative light/dark skins for users to choose from
Ensure every last trace of your Minecraft Forge installation is removed in order to ensure a successful reinstallation process.
5. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- First, click the Type here to search button on the taskbar to open that tool.
- Type firewall in the search tool to find Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the window in the screenshot directly below.
- Next, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open a Customize Settings window.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options there.
- Click OK to confirm new settings and exit the window.
- Thereafter, try installing Minecraft Forge with the firewall disabled.
6. Install Minecraft Forge via PowerShell
- Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key and E at the same time.
- Then open the folder that includes your Minecraft Forge installer file.
- Right-click the Minecraft Forge installer file and select Rename.
- Enter forge.JAR as the new file title.
- Hold the left Space key and right-click a space within the folder that includes the forge.JAR file and select Open PowerShell window here.
- Next, input this PowerShell command and press Enter:
java -Xnx2G -jar forge.jar
- The Minecraft Forge installer with which you can install the modding program should now open.
7. Reset Windows 10
- Open the Start menu, and click the Settings button on it.
- Then select Update & Security in Settings.
- Select the Recovery tab shown directly below.
- Click Get started to launch the Reset this PC tool.
- Select the Keep my files option to preserve your user files.
- Then select the Cloud download option for reinstalling Windows 10.
- Click the Next button, and select the Reset option to confirm.
Note: Resetting Windows 10 might seem a bit drastic, but some users have confirmed doing so can fix Minecraft Forge installation issues. However, you will need to reinstall the software you previously installed after resetting Windows 10.
So, those are some of the most probable ways to fix Minecraft Forge installation errors. With Forge installed, you should then be able to select Forge from the Play button within the Minecraft Launcher.
You can download Forge compatible mods from various sources, such as Minecraftmods.com.